Consuming data even when "Data Roaming" is turned off

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by reddevil0728, Dec 24, 2015.

1. reddevil0728 macrumors regular

I using an iPhone 6 plus on iOS 9.2.

I was advised by my network provider that even if "Data Roaming" is turned off and even if "Mobile Data" is turned off, apps might still be consuming data in the background and the only way to prevent any data from being consumed is to disabled it at network level. By disabling "Data Roaming" and "Mobile Data" at phone level, it wouldn't do the trick.

I was advised that this applies to every network provider throughout the world.

Wonder if there's any truth to that.

Anybody experienced the same issue of doing all the steps at phone level and still ended up incurring roaming charges.

2. geoff5093 macrumors 68000

geoff5093

I could potentially see data being used if data roaming is turned off, as there may be an issue with the phone not reporting it as roaming and thinking it was native. But if you have mobile data off, then you will not use any mobile data, unless you turn it on. If you want to be absolutely sure you can toggle airplane mode, but turning mobile data off will suffice.

3. reddevil0728 thread starter macrumors regular

What you said about turning off Data Roaming alone makes perfect sense now...

But I was advised by my service provider that even with Mobile Data being turned off, there's still potential for data consumption. Was advised that it's the same for all providers in the world. Wonder any truth to that or they are simply covering their arse by suggesting turning it off on the network side would be more foolproof.

4. geoff5093 macrumors 68000

geoff5093

They may be referring to you being able to use mobile data by accidentally turning mobile data back on. It sounds like they were covering themselves, because if you told them you didn't want to use data and they said turning off mobile data would suffice, then if for some reason you accidentally turned it on and complained to them, they'd have to deal with you.

5. reddevil0728 thread starter macrumors regular

makes sense too. thanks