Contact "beaming"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by faroed, Jul 9, 2007.

1. faroed macrumors newbie

I've had a couple of Palm OS devices and using IR or Bluetooth, I've exchanged contact details with other PDAs (including Windoze mobile devices).

As far as I can tell, this is not a feature on the iPhone. I reckon it would be a nice feature to add that I've not seen on any wish-list so far.

On my Palm T5, I can press and hold the contacts button and it beams my contact details. Nice.

Maybe this feature will be available by the time the iPhone makes it to Australia!

faroed

2. MacbookSwitcher macrumors 6502

MacbookSwitcher

You bring up a very good point. Of all the gripes, such as lack of 3G, no video recording and no MMS, for me personally I would have liked to see IR on the device, or perhaps bluetooth beaming of contacts. This is something I actually used.

3. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

4. faroed thread starter macrumors newbie

...and another thing...

Not that I do this with my Palm but it would also be nice to beam* other stuff like photos, PDFs, etc. Of course, I guess it could always be sent via e-mail but it seems a bit excessive if the devices are right next to each other.

faroed

*I'll refrain from using the term "squirt" here.:D

5. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

It would seem Bluetooth would be the best way of exchanging information such as business cards. I hope Apple opens it up with a file sharing option.

6. wongulous macrumors 6502a

Simple solution.

Email yourself from your home computer a vCard file (.vcf) from Address Book (...or Outlook), and keep it on the iPhone's email; forward it to anyone who needs it.

7. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

Has anyone ever used that feature, besides screwing around with friends ? In all the Palm devices I have had, I have never once used it in a real setting. Then again, I am tech guy not a sales guy.

8. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

My wife and I used to do it to keep certain contacts in sync (mutual friends, parents, etc).

9. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

Once

I used it once when a business buddy got his first Palm TX... not before not since... Business cards are way faster.