Contact Groups in iOS 8

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by g3styx, Jun 4, 2014.

1. g3styx macrumors newbie

g3styx

Could someone tell me if Apple has fixed that idiotic "checkmark" based UI with contact groups? In iOS 5 and earlier, I could just tap on a group to display all the contacts in that group. In iOS 6 and iOS 7, I have to "de-check" all contacts, "check" the group I want and press done. Please tell me contact groups behave like in iOS 5.

2. afsnyder macrumors 65816

No. This isn't such a big issue tbh. It's more useful if you want to see multiple groups I guess. You can live with it... I didn't even know "groups" were a thing until I read this thread.

3. g3styx thread starter macrumors newbie

g3styx

Ah, well thanks for the feedback. Guess I can live with it.

4. iRock1 macrumors 6502a

iRock1

You've been taking an extra step for nothing. You don't need to uncheck all the groups first, you just need to press the one that you want to see and that's it.

5. g3styx thread starter macrumors newbie

g3styx

Ah, sorry not to have replied iRock1. I'm a MacRumors Forum N00B and still parsing all the email notification settings.

Either way, it's still an extra step: Scenario: I have a "Work" group, a "Buddies" group and a "School" group. In iOS <=5, I would press the "Work" group and see all contacts in that group. I could go back and press the "School" group and see all the contacts in that group. Simple, immediate.

In iOS >=6, I can press "All Groups" and see all my contacts. I can press "Work" and see my work contacts. But if I then want to see my "School" contacts, I have to DESELECT "Work" and then select "School." Otherwise, the "Work" group is still selected. To me, an annoying additional step.

The iOS >=6 system introduces the feature of being able to view contacts from two different groups simultaneously, which is nice, I guess. But adds an extra step if I want to only view groups one at a time. (Which is, to me, the whole point of segregating one's contacts-- if I can't remember which group a particular contact is in, I can just search All Contacts)

Oh, well. Too bad Apple doesn't include a feature to allow both ways of viewing contact groups.

Thanks again for your feedback and apologies for the tardiness of my reply.

6. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

It works this way in iOS8. I have 20 groups, all are selected. I tap on one and its just that group and I can go back and tap once on another group and hit done and its just that group.

7. g3styx thread starter macrumors newbie

g3styx

Oh, sweet. That sounds like Apple alleviated my aggravation.

Thanks for the info, FreeState.

8. Egish macrumors member

I would love to see them lets us give settings charecteristics with our groups. Group A does this ring tone, group B does this one
    Vibration selections for group A, Group B

Etc

9. Dryland macrumors member

Dryland

This is apple we're talking about, you're asking for too much.

10. ajiuo macrumors 65816

No! I like the checkmarks. You can select multiple groups.

I wish they would add the ability to manage groups via IOS though

11. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

That would be nice. Might fall apart a bit though cause someone can be in several groups. So how does the system decide whether to use Group Book Club's tone or Group Preschool Carpool for little Susie's mother.

Using group names in messages, mail etc would probably be more useful. Assigning folks to groups, removing them also probably more useful. Especially if it includes moving between accounts and true merging of cards.

12. That-Guy macrumors 6502a

That-Guy

Can you create/edit Contact Groups in iOS 8 or does this still need to be done on the iCloud.com Website?

13. numlock macrumors 68000

apples motto has gone from it just works to you can live with it

14. afsnyder macrumors 65816

No it hasn't. But you can believe whatever you want to believe....

15. numlock, Jul 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2014

numlock macrumors 68000

it certainly isnt anything close to it just works anymore and much more in the direction of deal with it. but most of all it was a light hearted point about how far from apple that motto is these days. same with think different.

16. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

The real issue is how YOU think things should run versus the greater mass. The general public likely doesn't really care or find it that confusing.

being able to use groups in things like mail and messages, edit groups (so when Little Susie's mom can no longer drive carpool you can remove her name from the group) would be more useful to basically everyone. Even being able to swap cards from one account to another and really merge identical cards/remove dupes would be more useful to the greater horde. Especially those that have dumped using a computer for their iPhone and iPad

17. numlock, Jul 11, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2014

numlock macrumors 68000

maybe you think every post should come attached with gallup poll results?

i wasnt commenting on contact groups (which btw should be mailable in ios which bugged my 64 year old mother recently) but the remark which i responded to. i certainly hope ios starts getting more advanced features for people that only/mostly use an ipad but im more afraid that macos starts mimicking ios instead

18. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

No, not at all. Just perhaps for folks around here to face the fact that they aren't the target audience for these devices or this software and get over their belief that things should be the way they want it to be. And that their opinions are just that, opinions. not facts. And they are not even universal opinions.

19. numlock macrumors 68000

so you racked up over 7000 posts by expressing your opinion when it matched the consensus?

paying customers having an opinion. what is the world coming to?

and again my post had really nothing to do with the topic at hand but the change in apple