contact groups in iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by bw1128, Aug 7, 2010.

1. bw1128 macrumors 6502a

in your contact list, i cant seem to fin out how to create a group. i am always sending pictures of my daughter to my parents and in-laws, it would make it easy to just type family, instead of finding everyones name.

i have the iphone4 with 4.0.1 on it. i can just have that one text open and it seemed to work well with the how merged texts when everyone replied back, but since the jb that function doesnt seem to work anymore. if someone replies to the text, their text goes to their text section, not to the text file for that conversation. hope that makes sense.

2. BigRedOne macrumors regular

I think you set it up on your home computer. When you charge or update your iPhone, prompt the iPhone section while preforming the transfer, to allow the specific contact lists you established on your iMac to transfer to your iPhone.

Go to your address book on your iMac and on the top left corner hit the contact bar to establish a contact list and name it family, in-laws what ever. Drag their contact (the people you want to group together) info into the newly established contact list and then allow that list to transfer when you hook you iPhone to the iMac.

I hope that makes sense, because I have never done it before but I keep saying I am going to make some contact lists up for my family and I never do. I think what I am telling you will work. If it does not work, don't be PO'ed at me we are in this learning curve together :). Good luck.

3. bw1128 thread starter macrumors 6502a

it worked, it added the group to my iphone. but the bad thing is you still have to entry each group members name, or click on them. i was hoping i could just open messaging and type family, then message and send. but it doesnt work exactly like that. but thanks for the help!

4. BigRedOne macrumors regular

5. BigRedOne macrumors regular

i just set up a family group on my iMac and if you type family it automatically fills in the addresses within the group, but it does not work the same using the iPhone.

I'm wondering if is by design, or if I am doing something wrong or it is a glitch with the iPhone. At least we have them grouped into a family :).

6. vettori macrumors 6502a

There are apps to create groups on the phone and there are apps to send texts or emails to groups in one tap.
    You can check mine (see signature) and the many others on the AppStore.

7. BigRedOne macrumors regular

Vettori, Thanks, I will give the e-mail a try. Is there any package special if someone purchases both the e-mall and text grouping apps?

8. vettori macrumors 6502a

No, they are two separate apps. If you need help please contact me at the support address. Thanks

9. bw1128 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks but is there a way to do this in the native messages and email?

10. vettori macrumors 6502a

^^^

No, Apple stock apps does not allow to use groups in recipient field (i.e. you have to enter each recipient by hand instead of a single tap on the group).

But using AppStore apps (mine or most of the other) usually means that you "compose" the email or text using the third party apps, then the Apple standard screen for sending email or text appears pre-filled with recipients and/or message and attachments. The actual "send" step is done by the Apple stock app, so you'll find replies, errors, sent history, etc.. all on stock Apple apps.

To better understand you may want to take a look at the video demos of my apps that shows these steps.

Group Email with attachments
    Group Text