Contact Photo on a call

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by mprofit, Nov 7, 2012.

1. mprofit macrumors regular

mprofit

I'm wondering how to set my phone so that when someone calls, the photo I have for them is small and in the top right-hand corner of the phone, with my background at full screen, instead of the person's picture full screen. I want it to look like the picture below.

My contacts are straight from iCloud, and I added all the pictures on the Contacts app on iCloud.com. Does anyone know how to do this?

Attached Files:

2. sportsfrk214 macrumors 6502a

I've had a thread about this in the past so feel free to look back to it if you'd like. But the short answer is this:

When you add contact photos on the device itself, it will fill up the entire screen with the photo (and it looks awful in my opinion). The only way to get it into that neat little box is if you add the photo on another service and then sync with your iPhone.

For example, I manage all my contacts through Gmail, and have my phone set to sync contacts will Gmail. I add contacts photos using Gmail's website, so when I sync with my phone it puts the photo in that nice little box when someone calls.

So in short, if you add the contact photo from the phone itself, it's going to not work the way you want. Hope this helps

3. mprofit thread starter macrumors regular

mprofit

I've added the photos on iCloud.com, not on the phone itself. Thought that would do the trick, since the Contacts photos are in a small box like I thought they'd be on the phone.

Has anyone had success doing this through iCloud?

4. aDRock1154 macrumors 65816

aDRock1154

Maybe try turning contacts off and then back on again? I have never had any issues with the photos NOT showing up, so I really can't say for sure.

Maybe it needs to re-sync your contacts for the photos to show up the way you want?

5. s4yunkim macrumors regular

Funny enough, I was just doing research into this when I came across your post.

Here's what I found:

I'm using Address Book on the Mac, and my contacts are syncing automatically via iCloud to my iPhone 4S.

If you want the photo to appear as a small square next to the name of the person calling, then make the image a square, no bigger than 319x319 pixels.

Anything bigger than 319 pixels squared will result in the image being blown up to fill the screen, but, say, if you have a 320x320 picture, it can look quite ugly and pixelated.

For a few special contacts I have (family, etc), I personally like to have the image fill the screen, and the easiest thing I found for that was to make an image with the face of the contact slightly off center to the bottom, and crop/resize the image to 960x640 (iPhone 4/4S), or 1136x640 (iPhone 5).

I just set the contact photo from Address Book on the map, and the image it syncs appears very crisp and centered the way I want it.

Hope that helps!