Contact picture messing up

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Fazzl, Jun 11, 2010.

1. Fazzl macrumors 6502a

Fazzl

iPhone 3GS with 4 GM and google exchange.

When I add a pic to a contact from my iPhone it is full screen but after a few calls it reverts back to the small thumbnail size.

Any way to fix is so it stays fullscreen?

2. outphase macrumors 65816

I made a similar post asking the same thing. The only thing I can think of was that it is uploading the contact's photo then downloading it back. Google only stores the small contact photos instead of the full size.

It seems to have changed in iOS4 starting with beta 1.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=931832

3. Fazzl thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fazzl

now that iPhone 4 and iOS 4 are officially out hopefully more people will be able to chime in?

4. B737 macrumors 6502a

B737

same issue here.. i use google activesync, and even when i 'override' the archived little thumbnail picture, reset the contact with a photo thats on the phone, it never comes up as full screen. it always reverts to the thumbnail

5. Fazzl thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fazzl

im pretty sure it works fine with mobile me from what i remember from the trial. i really hope someone has a solution b/c the retina screen is just begging for a high res contact pic

6. outphase macrumors 65816

The solution comes down to two possible ways:

1. Google stores the full res photos in the contacts stored online
    2. Apple goes back to ignoring what's set on the server

7. Fazzl thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fazzl

8. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

Change contact photo on the iPhone's contacts app = full screen contact photo.

Change contact photo on OS X's Address Book program and sync = thumbnail contact photo.

9. Fazzl thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fazzl

not true. thats what this thread is about...

10. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

Entirely true.

Tried, tested, and working fine on my iPhone 3G and now my iPhone 4.

I don't like full screen photos when someone phones, I prefer the thumbnails.

The only way to get the thumbnails is to edit your contacts in Address Book and then sync the contacts to the iPhone.

If you go into your contacts on the iPhone itself, choose "edit" and select a photo of someone that is already stored on the device, then you get a full screen contact photo when that person calls.

If you don't believe me, that's your call ... I'm trying to be helpful.

I know it works for me, and I got the information from another UK Mac site/forum when I asked, "How do you get the little pictures like the iPhone advert contacts".

You mention using Google Exchange, which I take it manages your contacts? That's your issue right there ... you're using a Mac, so why not manage your contacts through Address Book?

11. outphase macrumors 65816

I think you missed the point that this is using Google Sync which had altered behavior as of iOS 4.0. On 3.0, you are right, but 4.0 changed the way Exchange contacts are handled which led to this thread.

12. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

Why use Google Exchange when Address Book (to me anyway) appears much easier?

13. outphase macrumors 65816

One syncs automatically over the air. The other does not.

14. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

This is incredibly annoying. I miss my full-screen contact photos.

15. withe011 macrumors regular

16. Fazzl thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fazzl

17. tariqi macrumors newbie

I was using Google Sync for email/contacts/calendar on iOS 3 and had this problem. Still dealing with it now on the iPhone 4. From what I've read, it is a limitation with the ActiveSync protocol. It only supports low-res photos, so until the actual protocol is updated this won't go away. I read somewhere that if you select "Only show pictures that I've chosen for my contacts" in the Contacts' Pictures setting in the web interface for Gmail that it would fix it for any new pictures added through the phone. Hasn't worked for me though.