Contact pictures...?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Gix1k, Dec 2, 2011.

1. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

Why when I set a picture it does not show when that person calls me? Isn't that what it's suppose to do? The image is associated with the contact.

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Depends how u add it. If I add it on your phone It'll be a background picture when it's incoming if it's added through contacts on your mac it'll be a little picture next to there name!

3. Gix1k thread starter macrumors 68030

Gix1k

I added a album of photos that are for contact icons. I go into photos, enter that album, choose the image and add it as a contact icon. When my phone rings, I get the image on my lockscreen as the image for all calls.

4. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

Have you tried it the opposite way? Going to Contacts>Name>Edit and then adding the image?

5. Gix1k thread starter macrumors 68030

Gix1k

Just tried that. Now I need to wait on a call. Thanks.!

6. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

I hope it works for you. You can also try adding them via iCloud.com and see if that helps. In that instance, the pictures will be small like the above poster said.

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Not anymore. iOS 5 messed it all up.

I haven't tested it to be sure but I THINK the new system is:

Everything shows up big no matter how you added it. Small pictures are dead and gone. Unless you have photos that were small before, they're grandfathered in and stay small.

Anyone have any info that supports/contradicts that? I have been unable to make a NEW small picture no matter what I try since Lion/iOS 5.

8. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

I've got a contradiction. :) I took a pic from my Mac and added it via Address Book. It wasn't showing on my phone so I went and did it on iCloud.com. Now it shows up small.

9. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Haven't tried that one. Interesting.

The bottom line is that it went from "weird rules that confused the people who didn't 'know them" to "totally complicated clusterf*** no matter how much you know."

I'm staring to learn the "rules" but there's zero logic to them.

10. Gix1k thread starter macrumors 68030

Gix1k

BAM!! Did this, had the GF call me. There's her pic!!! Thank you!! Was bothering me!

11. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

I think the logic is this (I could be mistake, so don't hold me to this):
    Contact pictures added to contacts via the iPhone are large.
    Contact pictures added to contacts via iCloud, Google, etc. are compressed to small size.

12. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

I can back this up with my experience. Old photos I had in my Google contacts were small. I switched to iCloud, redid the pics and they are much bigger size, now.

13. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

So, if this is right, what has changed is that "adding in Mac Address Book" has been moved from that B list to the A list.

I wish they'd just end this nonsense as give us a phone-wide preference that you can toggle either way.

14. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Totally agree 100%. Not only is it dumb to change things on the fly. But it makes no sense to have separate settings, and then not document the changes and how to change them.

----------

Same here. Originally I was syncing contacts with Google. But when I did that, google would sync back down and I'd only have small pictures. So I had to disable syncing contacts only and then reset the contact pic on the phone.
    But with iCloud, I'm back to normal thankfully.

OMSH

15. aham23 macrumors regular

good stuff here. my issue is the pics i have in my outlook contacts didnt/dont transfer over to iCloud. no issues when syncing with iTunes (PC).

16. dmusicman385 macrumors regular

I have the 4S. First iPhone. Well I add pics via the address book on my macbook pro and then sync. they all come in small. Much better in my opinion.

17. aDRock1154 macrumors 65816

aDRock1154

I have found if I add my pics through iCloud they will be small. If I go into contacts on my iPhone and edit the pic (just open the original pic, do nothing and save it) then it automatically expands to be the background when they call.. I have it set for business to have a small pic with their name and friends/family to have the large background. I like my current set up, as I just transitioned from Google Sync to everything in iCloud now...