Contact pictures

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by craigverse, Aug 10, 2007.

1. craigverse macrumors 6502

craigverse

In anticipation of the iPhone coming out I made the ULTIMATE contact list. Every person had a picture and I was happy.

Then I received my iPhone and was happy with the little pictures of my friends and family.

It wasn't until I added a contact picture from my iPhone that I realized what I was missing out on. When my friends would call I would see the little picture of them in the top right with my background picture in the background. When my friend whose picture I assigned from the iPhone called I saw a gorgeous full screen photo.

I got curious and started toying with the contracts and I noticed if I chose the picture that I added from addressbook.app and said I wanted to edit it from the phone it would set it to work as a full screen picture during calls.

I have like 150 contacts. Does anyone know of a quicker way to make them show fullscreen?

2. toshiba1 macrumors member

I'm not following you. When I assign a picture from my photos on the iPhone to a contact, and that contact calls, it shows that photo fullscreen with buttons Ignore, Answer.

3. MarkW19 macrumors 65816

Yes, but if you assign the picture in Address Book (ie. not on the iPhone itself), when the contact calls, just a small picture is displayed. A workaround is to "edit" the contacts picture on the iPhone, then resave, and it'll then be fullscreen.

But, what he's asking is is there an easier way to do this globally, and convert all of the Address Book pictures to the iPhone's fullscreen ones, without having to go in and edit each of his 150 pictures individually...

4. chriswheat macrumors regular

Simply, no.

This might be fixed in a future version, but now you'll have to go to each contact's picture on the iPhone, edit it and then it'll display full screen.

5. MarkW19 macrumors 65816

I've not got my iPhone yet (obviously, as I'm in the UK), but I think I'd much prefer a small picture of the contact for 2 reasons:-

1. A massive picture of someone is kind of freaky, especially if it's someone you don't like and/or someone not so easy on the eye!

2. The wallpaper isn't shown much at all on the iPhone - on the unlock screen, and also when a call comes in. I've already got a folder full of 150 amazing wallpapers in anticipation for my iPhone, and I'll want to see them as much as possible!

6. Leemo macrumors 6502

Leemo

I agree with you actually - I'll have a full screen picture for my partner and a group of my favourite people, but everyone else can have their own little tiny pictures instead ;)

Just got to wait for the sodding phone to get to the UK now!

-Leemo

7. Joshua8o8 macrumors 6502

I like having my contacts full picture show when they call. i usually try to assign a funny looking picture of that person to their contact so that way if im unhappy with them at the time, at least when i see the picture i'll be in a little better mood. But i can understand how you can not want to see some people on full screen when they call.

8. irun5k macrumors 6502

I suspect that Apple may update Address Book in OS X at some point to make use of higher resolution contact images in general. There is no technical reason why they couldn't scale down the images when necessary. Plus, it would seem to make sense to have more pixels available as higher resolution displays hit the market and the resolution independence feature of Leopard kicks in.

It is a matter of personal preference, but I agree with those who said that the full screen image of your contact on the iPhone could be disturbing. Would be nice to have the option to control this a little better though.

9. wildmilne macrumors regular

You know you control what picture displays, make a picture thats not zoomed in on their face or something. i still dont understand this, some pictures i add on the desktop shows full screen, some don't :confused: