Contact sync between iPhone/Macbook

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Matt-Man-Plus, Feb 13, 2011.

1. Matt-Man-Plus macrumors regular

I'm having a problem with contacts between the two devices. In iTunes, I have "sync address book contacts" checked off and under it i've checked off "all contacts". But if I make a new contact on my iPhone and then sync to iTunes, the contact doesn't show up in my contacts on the Macbook. Am I wrong to assume that if you make a new contact on the phone and then sync it, the new contact should be there in the contacts list on the computer? BTW, i do not have anything checked off in the "replace information on this iPhone"

2. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Mines syncs fine. Ensure u dont have the check mark that says "replace items on iPhone". I believe it's under the Info tab

3. Matt-Man-Plus thread starter macrumors regular

I deffinitey don't have anything checked in the "replace information on this iPhone". Would it make a difference that my iTunes library is in the shared folder? I wouldn't think that would make a difference. My "notes" sync just fine. Anyone have any insight on this? I just tried it again. Created a new contact on the iPhone called "test". Synced with iTunes and cannot find it anywhere in my contacts on the MacBook.

4. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

You don't, by any chance, have groups set up in Address Book.app, do you?

5. Matt-Man-Plus thread starter macrumors regular

I do have groups. I have "all contacts" selected though.

6. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

When I had my contacts split into groups, I had to select the individual groups, to make ti sync correctly. That will also create groups on your iPhone.

7. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

One thing I did was to tell iTunes to add any contacts created on the iPhone to a contact group called "from iPhone". This way, when I add a contact on my phone, I can use this contact group on my Mac to easily re-organize them into the correct groups. Currently, the iPhone will not let you edit groups on the phone itself. The only way to add a contact to a particular group on the phone is to be in the group u want when u add the contact. Because that is so cumbersome for me, I just have iTunes add all contacts created on the phone to this new group which I reorganize later

See if you can do something similar to this in your iTunes settings. Also, are you sharing this contact list with another user? You mention it was a shared library.