Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Students at Santa Clara University in Santa Clara, California are now able to add their ACCESS student IDs to the Wallet app on the iPhone and the Apple Watch, allowing their devices to be used to access buildings, attend athletic events, purchase meals, check out library books, and more.

contactlessstudentid.jpg

Once a student ID card has been added into the Wallet app, students can use an iPhone or Apple Watch in lieu of a physical card by holding their device near a reader. The contactless student ID can be used anywhere the physical ID card is required.

Santa Clara University is located close to Apple's Cupertino headquarters, and it was one of the universities that worked with Apple and partner company Transact during the pilot program for contactless student IDs.

SCU expects that most of its 5,500 undergraduate students will be using the mobile student ID system by the end of the year.

Apple first announced plans to bring contactless student IDs to iPhone and Apple Watch at the 2018 Worldwide Developers Conference, and rolled out the first IDs in October 2018.

Since then, Apple has added additional universities to the program, and participants include Marshall University, Clemson University, Duke University, University of Oklahoma, University of Alabama, Georgetown University, University of Tennessee, University of Kentucky, University of San Francisco, University of Vermont, Arkansas State University, South Dakota State University, Norfolk State University, Louisburg College, University of North Alabama, and Chowan University.

Article Link: Contactless Student IDs on iPhone and Apple Watch Now Available for Santa Clara University Students

Last edited:

Z400Racer37

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2011
Is there any way available to contact this feature for personal use? For instance, could I make an app for a private club, add that club's membership card to the wallet app, and use it to open magnetically locked doors, pay member dues, etc? Or is this feature set not available to devs?

Reactions: xander49x

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
I went to that school.

I don’t think I ever used my ID card for anything, other than once to identify myself at the library.

Morgenland

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2009
Europe
Great! Something really interesting is developing here. This door opener might soon not be limited to universities.
Your watch is your wallet.
Your watch is your key!

Last edited:

konqerror

macrumors 68020
Dec 31, 2013
Is there any way available to contact this feature for personal use? For instance, could I make an app for a private club, add that club's membership card to the wallet app, and use it to open magnetically locked doors, pay member dues, etc? Or is this feature set not available to devs?

Yes, via NFC enabled passes. You can do it yourself or there's third-party services to simplify it.

Morgenland

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2009
Europe
I went to that school.

I don’t think I ever used my ID card for anything, other than once to identify myself at the library.
So you did not access buildings there, attend athletic events, purchase meals, and more? Do not, others do it.

MisterSavage

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2018
I already use my watch for the vending machine at work. It would be nice to also be able to use it for building access.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Yes, via NFC enabled passes. You can do it yourself or there's third-party services to simplify it.
how do you do this? I have a contactless card and cannot find any way to do this ...

Include me, I like to know how you do this.
On an iPhone of course...

I already use my watch for the vending machine at work. It would be nice to also be able to use it for building access.

That's ApplePay (I think), different animal.

Reactions: Z400Racer37

konqerror

macrumors 68020
Dec 31, 2013
how do you do this? I have a contactless card and cannot find any way to do this ...
Include me, I like to know how you do this.
On an iPhone of course...

No endorsements:

citysnaps

macrumors G3
Oct 10, 2011
San Francisco
I went to that school.

I went there as well. And can't remember using my id card either, except for the library. SCU is an outstanding engineering school, imo.

danielcapitaoo

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2020
No endorsements:
Do any of those let anyone create an NFC Apple Wallet card? I can't seem to find that option

Z400Racer37

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2011
No endorsements:

Thanks a lot man, I'll give that a shot!

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Do any of those let anyone create an NFC Apple Wallet card? I can't seem to find that option

I don't get it either, the only one which seems to do this is Passninja, 2 major drawbacks, it's in beta and it comes with a (substantial) price tag.
($2000 minimum for a NFC pass beta kit)

I want my homebuilt NFC lock to work with an iPhone, seems impossible or too expensive or did I miss something...

j3x

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2017
By the time my college adds this I won’t be in there anymore 😂

nylonsteel

macrumors 65816
Nov 5, 2010
re original article
sounds like a cool feature
but waiting to see if college cpu nerds will try to hack this feature

ss2cire

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2008
Earth?
I think this is neat, 1 less thing to carry around, ideally this becomes an open standard and many devices other than just iOS/iPhone can implement something very easily. Yay for Tech! =)

velocityg4

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
So you did not access buildings there, attend athletic events, purchase meals, and more? Do not, others do it.

My University only required the ID to check out books. Also some dealings with administration offices, labs or registration.

The only time I had to show an ID in the cafeteria was my state ID to buy alcohol. Can't think of why I'd need it for athletic events as they were open to the paying public. Nor did concerts or plays require ID.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.