Contacts and iPhoto issue

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Merode, Nov 24, 2013.

1. Merode macrumors 6502

Merode

I have an issue with Contacts app. I don't know if it's a Mavericks thing, or maybe it used to be know bug before - it's basically my firs ever mac.

I have iPhoto library with some faces in it. Now, I'm adding contacts to my Contacts app and choosing pictures from my faces library in iPhoto. Of course, I'm zooming in on chosen face and adjusting position to make them look best.

After I'm finished the picture stays pristine for a brief moment - until wheel stops spinning on the left side of the contacts app (I think it's syncing with iCloud). As soon as it's finished, the picture changes - it seems to me that it restores to the old size, without my zooming or adjustments.

It's pretty annoying - am I the only one experiencing it?

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

It iCloud's slow Photo sync. To remedy go to iPhoto's Preferences and in the iCloud' section uncheck Photo Stream & Photo sharing. Trust me this will help.

3. Merode thread starter macrumors 6502

Merode

It is unchecked. :( Can you please try choosing picture for one of your contacts? I'm interested if it's just me.

4. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

What I do is when Contacts is open, select a contact and click 'Edit' when the Edit menu opens just drag a picture to the contacts picture and it will pop-up to resize the new image.

5. Merode thread starter macrumors 6502

Merode

6. Merode thread starter macrumors 6502

Merode

Wow, I guess I'm the only one with this bug.. :/

7. Merode thread starter macrumors 6502

Merode

For anybody with similar issue - I found workaround. The way to make pictures look good is to use Contacts iCloud WebApp which works just great.

It's worth mentioning that aforementioned issues do not occur with every image. Some pictures work good on desktop app, some don't. Contacts WebApp seems to work with all of them.

8. kevinfromhunt macrumors newbie

You are NOT the only one with this problem. I have the exact same problem, but it does not seem to be only when I put the pictures in from iPhoto. From what you said, I suspect it has something to do with photo streaming.

9. kevinfromhunt macrumors newbie

I now think this problem does NOT have anything to do with Photostream or iCloud. I have turned off Photostream in iPhoto I have also exported pictures from iPhoto onto my desktop, then dragged them onto the contact picture in Contacts and when the wheel stops spinning, my contact photo STILL resizes itself.

10. kevinfromhunt macrumors newbie

It seems that I am only having the problem with photos that are a higher resolution that I use on my MacBook Pro Retina with Mavericks. The pictures that I place in my contacts directly from my phone don't seem to be a problem, but when I download the pictures from my phone onto my Mac and then try to place them into a contact, I have a problem.