Contacts disappeared... but yet still there somewhere??

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by antonym, Aug 26, 2010.

1. antonym macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,

My iPhone 4 mysteriously crashed and rebooted yesterday (I wasn't even doing anything with it; it was just plugged in), and I quickly noticed that all of my contacts had inexplicably vanished. Obviously, these have not been backed up or synced to anything, because I'm silly and didn't think anything could happen to them.

The obvious solution was to restore the iphone to the backup that was made the day before..... except when I did so the contacts did not reappear for some reason. :mad:

It gets weirder. Confused and kind of angry, I started creating random contacts with names like "Xnkajg Iofgb" -- only to have my iphone assign them my old contacts' display pictures!! As I created more of these nonsense contacts, each got automatically assigned a display picture of a real person from my now-empty address book (in alphabetical order by first name, eg. a picture of Aaron for the first contact, Adam for the second, Andrew the third, etc.)

What the hell is going on here? I don't have these pictures anywhere else on the phone -- are my contacts still floating around somewhere in the phone, and just invisible? Any help is welcome... I don't really want to try to dig up a hundred people's contact info and type it in again.

:confused:

(As an aside, after the crash I also noticed that the option to have automatic screen lock set to Never has also disappeared -- which is doubly frustrating.)

2. south8212 macrumors 6502

Did you try to sync the contacts to your machine since you haven't yet? That's one way of seeing if they are still on your phone or not. Another test would be trying some type of contact management app and seeing what it can find.