Contacts Error Message

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Fiendishone, Jul 21, 2014.

1. Fiendishone macrumors member

Fiendishone

I need some help please. I am new to Apple and am running a MacBook Pro. In my contacts I am getting an error message next to my main contacts list on the left hand side of the contacts box and it says...

Operation couldn't be completed.
    (CoreDAVErrorDomain error1).​

Can anyone tell me why and how I fix this? Also, when I add a group, it disappears when I next want to use it, what am I doing wrong?

Any help would be gratefully received.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That looks like some type of CardDAV error related to syncing. How are you syncing your Contacts?

3. Fiendishone thread starter macrumors member

Fiendishone

Thank you for replying weasleboy, I have no idea how my contacts are syncing, :eek: I have my main contacts from my default email then I have my gmail contacts, then, of course, there is the heading 'all contacts'. How they communicate I have left up to the Macbook and its programme. Gmail never seems to have a problem, if that is any help to you. I am very new to Apple and its workings so please bear with me.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Open System Preferences and look in the Internet Accounts pane. What sync services do you have turned on there?

5. Fiendishone, Jul 22, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2014

Fiendishone thread starter macrumors member

Fiendishone

Have done as you asked and when looking at what was ticked in my main email, contacts was NOT ticked so I have ticked it. Gmail was ticked. Have I done the right thing?

Just checked what my contacts were doing and I have ended up with 2 main contacts, they now both come up with the error message! so have unchecked the contacts in said internet accounts.

Listed are my Gmail account, the bt account (the main email account) iCloud and hotmail account. In the bt account there is mail ticked and calendars. In gmail there is mail and contacts ticked. Hotmail had mail and notes ticked.

Hope this helps. :)

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Who is the main email provider you mentioned?

What I was thinking is to uncheck Gmail contacts sync then recheck it to sort things out.

7. Fiendishone thread starter macrumors member

Fiendishone

My main email provider is BTinternet. that comes through or is/can be accessed through yahoo mail.

I will do as you suggest and unstick gmail the redo and see what happens. Shall report back.

Thank you very much for your time and help!!!

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Ahh...okay. The email provider would not be syncing your email, so it must be related to the Gmail contacts sync.

9. Fiendishone thread starter macrumors member

Fiendishone

Ok, tried unticking gmail contacts, the same error came up so I unticked it from the mail as well, then i received the same error message but instead of saying error 1 it then said error 3.

----------

I have also noticed that now gmail is back as it was before that I have in some addresses a duplicate address when I check my main contacts.

10. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Hmmm... okay so it does look like you are syncing contacts with Yahoo and that is the issue. I'm wondering do you need to sync contacts with both? Coould you just sync with Gmail only and avoid the separate lists?

11. Fiendishone thread starter macrumors member

Fiendishone

I suppose I could, would have to update the gmail contacts but I suppose don't need them duplicated, do I. I can still used the contacts from gmail when using my bt email?

One other thing I have found also related to mail and contacts. I would like to set up a sub-group from my contacts so that I could just block email them instead of having to go through all the contacts and pick the ones I need. I have set it up but when I come back, it has vanished. What am I doing wrong?

Sorry to be such a pain! :eek:

----------

Have just unchecked my bt account for mail it still appears in the contacts, doesn't seem to have made any difference!!

12. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I was searching around a bit and found this and other posts about people having the same trouble trying to sync contacts with Yaho using a non-Yahoo account like you are with BT.

So if you could get by with just the Gmail sync, that would seem to be the temp workaround. Those contacts would still be available from Mail from the BT Mail account.

13. Fiendishone thread starter macrumors member

Fiendishone

Thanks for that weasleyboy, it is comforting to know that I am not the only one to have this problem.

I am assuming that I will have to leave the bt/yahoo account in there but ignore it. When I took it out, the account disappeared from my mail programme but the contacts still showed in contacts.

I am also assuming that if I changed my ISP, got rid of any connection to yahoo, this problem would go away?

14. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You should be able to leave the BT/Yahoo email on but the BT/Yaho contacts sync off. Do you see an option in that Internet Accounts pref pane to have one without the other?

You could always keep the same ISP and just not use their email service. I have Time Warner Cable for Internet and have never used their email service. I just use iCloud and Gmail.

As far as having contacts still there... open Contacts app then hit command-one to show the Groups on the left. What groups do you see there?

We should be able to get everything exported then consolidated in one group for you like maybe Gmail then everything can access those.

15. Fiendishone thread starter macrumors member

Fiendishone

One the left of my contacts pane I have all contacts, Bt email, Gmail and something called smart groups.

I assume that the sync is when you have mail option checked? If I turn that off I lose all my mailboxes for bt in the mail programme, to move all that would be a pain. I would also mean that I would have to notify everyone that has my personal email!!! eek I have no real objection to using gmail I suppose... I don't really use that one except for apple store and my samsung phone.

I think I have solved my trouble with an extra group, I made one in gmail and so far it still seems to be there!

16. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

If you look in System Pref in the Internet Accounts pane under the BT section, does it show a checkbox for email and contacts? I was hopping you could go in there and just turn off BT contacts sync and leave BT email turned on?

The other thing you could do (since Gmail contacts sync seems to be okay) is in Contacts select all the BT contacts then go to File menu... Export... Export vcard and save that. Then import that vcard export to the Gmail contacts section to get them all in one place. Then delete all the contacts from the BT contacts section so it is empty? I think that would get you what you want while keeping the BT email address and still have access to all contacts synced through Gmail.

17. Fiendishone thread starter macrumors member

Fiendishone

That is exactly what is showing. But it still shows my contacts.

Your other idea about emptying my bt contacts into gmail sounds good. Have heard of vcards but don't understand what they are for :eek: But I shall have a go at what you describe and let you know what happens, is there anything else I need to know before I do as you have said?

18. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

VCARD is just a universal address book exchange format. You can export your contacts as VCARDS then import them into about any contacts program.

Maybe make a good backup before you do this in case things get messed up, but it shouldn't just doing what I described.

19. Fiendishone thread starter macrumors member

Fiendishone

Have done it and it seems to have worked a treat! BT now has no contacts and gmail has everything. I turned on iCloud for contacts but I seem to have only 2 cards in there, one for my address and one for Apple, thought all my contacts would have shown up, but not too bothered and I am not sure I fully understand iCloud and whether to trust all my info out there in the world. Is iCloud safe?

I can't thank you enough for all your trouble over my problems, it is so nice to know that if I have problems there is likely to be a kind soul out there like you to help. I am not a novice at computing, I can use them but I am not too hot on the internal workings, and when things go wrong... So, once again THANK YOU!!! :D

20. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You are quite welcome. :)

I use iCloud as my primary email and for all my contacts and it seems to work well. Gmail like you have it setup is fine also.

You could export those Gmail contacts to VCARD if you wanted then import them to iCloud. Or just leave it as is.

21. Fiendishone thread starter macrumors member

Fiendishone

I assume that I can re-use the vcard file I have on my system from BT to gmail?

I am going to be a pain and ask another question. When I double tap on the trash in email, or really any drop-down menu it seems to have changed. It now looks like and old flat windows menu instead of the nice light grey that I have always had, not sure what I have done, can't remember altering anything like that, have not found anything to be able to alter like that. Any ideas?

22. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yep... that VCARD format is universal and go both ways in most any contacts/address book app.

No idea about the appearance change. I can't think if anything we did here that might have done that?

23. Fiendishone thread starter macrumors member

Fiendishone

Think I shall try importing into iCloud, at least it gives me another back-up in addition to my time machine one.

Thanks once again for all your help!! :D:D