Contacts/Facebook

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by someone28624, Sep 19, 2012.

1. someone28624 macrumors 6502a

I LOVE the idea of my contacts pulling birthdays/e-mail addresses/etc from Facebook FOR CONTACTS I ALREADY HAVE. I DID NOT want all of my Facebook friends loaded up into my Contacts. There doesn't even appear to be a way to delete the contacts created from Facebook. Is there anyway to set it to just keep info updated on contacts already there without importing new ones from Facebook?

2. standingquiet macrumors 6502

standingquiet

Turn off the Facebook Group in contacts and it will hide the contacts but information will still be included in your contacts from Facebook.

The Facebook Contacts also will not sync with iCloud.

3. someone28624 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok, that totally got rid off all the Facebook info in Contacts, but why can't there be a happy medium? It would be nice having links to Facebook profiles and birthdays for contacts I want in my phone anyway, but I don't need a contact for everyone I have ever friended on Facebook. Ugh, I was hoping this feature would be integrated well.

4. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

It's this way on Android too. If you don't remember to change that setting your contact list explodes.

5. standingquiet macrumors 6502

standingquiet

check out your friends in your contacts that are on facebook and their facebook info will still be included and if they had no picture there will be theoir Facebook one instead.

----------

So

1. Enable Facebook Contact in Settings
    2. Go to Groups in Contacts and un-tick Facebook Contacts
    3. Any of your friends you already had in your phonebook that has a facebook their facebook info will be in your original contact. ( also a pic will be added if you dont have one set)

Matt

6. someone28624 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh yeah, sure enough. It's just weird because some people, like my sister, use First Name, Middle Name on Facebook. I have her as First Name, Last Name in my contact, but it still knew it was the same person when I had it linked, but when I unlinked it her Facebook stuff was gone. Other people that I had the exact same spelling as their Facebook stuff are indeed including the Facebook info as well in contacts.

7. standingquiet macrumors 6502

standingquiet

Glad you figured it out :)

8. someone28624 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ah, so all you really need to do is uncheck the All Facebook group. So simple! Now, Apple, would it kill you to let us add contacts to a group on the device? *sigh*

9. stw2186 macrumors newbie

You may have explained this already, but what is the reason that some of your phone contacts have pictures and some don't? I have the phone contact switch in settings switched to off too, because I just wanted my phone contacts, and not my whole set of Facebook friends. Let me know. Thanks!

10. patent10021 macrumors 68020

patent10021

What happens if you DON'T enable FaceBook Contact in settings? I won't get inundated with 500 new people right? Because I don't want anything to do with FB on my iPhone.

Having their pics might be nice but most FB pics aren't faces that are easy to see.

11. tburk32 macrumors member

I know this isn't the most time effective but I went through my contacts and did this manually. The way to trick the system to give you the updated contact picture (the current Facebook picture) is to put the person's @facebook.com email address in the contact information. If you don't know it (good chance you won't know anyones) just go to their Facebook page and it will be the last part after the / (i.e. /firstname.lastname) if there is a number after it include that and just put @facebook.com after it. I've even been able to do it for people that I am not friends on Facebook with. I have the Facebook contact sync turned off and if you go into your settings on the mac or iOS setting under Facebook turn off contact sync and select update all contact (iOS) or mail contacts & calendars - Facebook- update profile photos (in OSX Mountain Lion) and the photos should be populated. I wasn't able to get this to work for business pages (I don't know if there is a @facebook.com email associated with them or not. Hopefully this helps the people who really want it and are willing to spend a little bit of time to get what they want out of it. I was actually most impressed by the fact that I got pictures for people I wasn't even friends with on Facebook to show up.

12. PaulTokyo macrumors member

You should also edit your default email in Facebook profile. Facebook secretly changed your default email to facebook email so when your friends sync their FB with their iPhones contacts they will be sending emails to your facebook account not your expected email account. Well played Facebook, well played...

13. trevorplease macrumors regular

So the first time i put in my facebook credentials it willl AUTOMATICALLY update my contacts and calendar with facebook's? Can I turn contacts and calendars off before ANY syncing occurs?

So say Bob is already in my contact list as a phone number only, and he's on facebook as Bob2342@gmail.com. enabling the contacts will automatically put these information all together even though i turn off contacts after?

14. patent10021, Sep 19, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2012

patent10021 macrumors 68020

patent10021

?? My email is still the same gmail addy I've had all this time. Nothing done secretly here.

I installed FB but did not enter any FB info in the FB settings area on my iPad therefore my iPad Contact app has nothing to do with FB. No issues whatsoever. As soon as you enter in your login info into the FB settings area on your device you'll be F'd. So if you don't want all the cross transferring business don't login using the settings area.

15. iArch macrumors regular

iArch

16. quickxlr8 macrumors newbie

Google Contacts

I use Google Contacts to manage my contacts and sync them to my iPhone. Will facebook sync add facebook contacts to my synced Google contacts?

17. standingquiet macrumors 6502

standingquiet

It will only update them when Facebook contacts are turned on in Facebook Settings, It will not sync with iCloud.

So what i do it enable Facebook Contacts which duplicates a lot of my contacts, then go to groups in contacts and un-tick Facebook. Doing this just shows my contacts and any that match Facebook contacts will now include Facebook details including picture if one wasn't already set.

Matt

18. ajones46 macrumors 6502

After playing with this I just unsynched Facebook linking my contacts. It just doesn't work the way that I want it to.

Example: you go to your mail app and then click on compose new email and if you hit the blue plus button for the To: (contact) - it will automatically default to the @facebook.com email, even if you already have an email added for that contact!

So I figured, bah, I'll just unlink the Facebook account to this contact. But now there's 2 separate contacts. One with my entered info and one with the Facebook information. Grr.

Good thought, but like earlier poster stated, no happy medium.

19. mes08 macrumors newbie

Where do you add the @facebook.com address? I tried adding to the email of a contact but it does not seem to work. It still doesn't sync. I too would love to be able to only sync my facebook friends with those already in my address book. thanks!

20. Soap. macrumors newbie

Hello

I have a security question if I may? If I sync my contacts with Facebook, will any one be able to look up my contacts from FB? Example, I sync and after that Jane goes to my page and can see my other friends contacts?

21. stylinexpat macrumors 6502a

22. Jimbo47 macrumors 6502a

at least it doesn't double the contacts (for me anyway). On my old android, I would have 2 of everybody when Facebook would sync. It was so annoying.

23. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

ya the sharing integration and updating status from the notification center is nice. The calendar and contacts merging is something I will be leaving off.

24. tburk32 macrumors member

Here is what I did and it wasn't a fluke because it worked for each contact I did it to. go to www.facebook.com go to the desired person's facebook profile (NOTE you do NOT need to be friends with them) and in the address bar it will look like this https://www.facebook.com/firstname.last name.129 For this example their facebook email address would be firstname.lastname.129@facebook.com. If you put this in as an email address and go into your facebook settings and update contacts (contacts sync does NOT need to be checked for this to work) their pictures should pull in. I had to do it for about 20 people that I'm not friends with on facebook or people that have their first and middle name that facebook didn't find so it was slightly time consuming but it gives me the results I wanted without having every Julio Fernando and Humberto that I'm friends with on Facebook in my contacts list.

EDIT picked a random name and number and somehow picked a real person's facebook and email address WHOOPS