Contacts Gone: Any hope?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by constant L, Feb 8, 2008.

1. constant L macrumors member

ok so i must have done something wrong...i was told that after doing an erase and install my contacts would sync to my address book on my mac....

well they are gone...

there is a back up of my phone on itune....found it by going to preferences...it said it was backed up this morning...right around the time i synced..it is weird that i havent noticed it until now...

so is there a way i can use that iphone back up to get my contacts back?

and all my ical events are gone as well...

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Sync and they should come back. The iPhone syncs both ways, so if there is nothing on the computer it will ask to sync.

TEG

3. constant L thread starter macrumors member

thats what i thought..that it would sync to the computer...but it didnt

and they are gone from the phone..thats why i'm concerned

4. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

See if you have a restore point on your computer of when you DID have your contacts. If you do, then do a backup.

5. constant L thread starter macrumors member

is this done by pressing restore?

6. constant L thread starter macrumors member

the devastation...all gone..

just did the restore from the back up..

all those contacts down the drain..years of contacts...gone

i cant believe it....

whats weird is that my favorites have the numbers still there but no names..

7. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

8. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

To a search for the ics file that contains your contacts. Also, perhaps an iPod which may have them.

And seriously, no backups? About once a year I back up all my irreplaceable data, on to websites and discs.

TEG

9. ppappas macrumors newbie

Lost All Your Contacts on iPhone? How to Use MobileMe to Get Them Back

Twice in the last week I have opened my iPhone to find my Contacts gone. Once it began by first eliminating the names in my Phone "favorites." (Strangely the phone numbers were still there.) When I went to Contacts, I saw it was completely blank. The second time I watched my iPhone contacts disappear while I was editing a contact on my MacBook. (A MobileMe sync began - when it was over, my contacts were gone from iPhone!)

On both occasions I have been able to get them back. I posted a "how to" on my blog with some screen shots. http://bit.ly/l60UY Hope it saves someone else a moment of panic. I'd love to hear from Apple what's going on?

Peter Pappas
    http://peterpappas.blogs.com/

10. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

Been there..Sucks! The iPhone handles contacts like pure shti.

11. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

Hmm I've erased and restored my iPhone a fair few times (jailbreak, unjailbreak), moved my iTunes library onto a new hard drive and even wiped and installed a new OS and I've always been fine. Something's gone wrong somewhere . . .

Some tips - You can do a back up from inside the Address Book app on your mac. Not a back up from your iPhone, an actual back up of the contacts on your computer. I did this when I installed Leopard. I hit back up and saved the file to my external, just in case doing a sync with the iPhone went haywire.

You can also save your contacts to the sim card on your iPhone, and retrieve them again later. Which is probably the easiest back up, then you know that your back up will work with pretty much any phone.

12. kicko macrumors 65816

One of the reason i sync my contacts with gmail.

From gmail you can also save your contacts to a seperate file so you can back up however you like.

I had to erase my wife's iphone and it backed up contacts fine. Could you have dont a back up after you deleted the contacts, so they no longer would be in a restore?