Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

QuietFun

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 7, 2008
Meridian, Miss.
I know there has been some discussion about the contacts button in the 2.0 beta software and that it may just be in the beta so you could access it through the simulator on a computer but in the Guided Tour video the Contacts icon is still there. Any idea why this would be there? or would it just end up being more clutter..

PoitNarf

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2007
Northern NJ
It is a permanent addition to 2.0, it will be in the final version. I'm pretty sure it's mostly there for the iPod Touch since it doesn't have the phone app, but it's still nice on the iPhone at times if you don't keep the contacts tab in the phone app as the last tab you look at before closing it.

iFerd

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2007
No Contacts icon is shown on the images of iPhone 3G on the Apple web site. App Store is shown, so it isn't just the old icon set on the new phone.

PoitNarf

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2007
Northern NJ
No Contacts icon is shown on the images of iPhone 3G on the Apple web site. App Store is shown, so it isn't just the old icon set on the new phone.

That is because the contacts app is on the 2nd page of the home screen by default. Not sure why they did it this way, but that's where it shows up.

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007

Huh? It is on page 2 of the iPhone screens. The same place it has been since they included it.

iFerd

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2007
Huh? It is on page 2 of the iPhone screens. The same place it has been since they included it.
No sure what you are looking at, but there is no separate contacts icon on my iPhone. Contacts are buried in the Phone app.

Until I added some web apps, there was no page 2 on my phone either.

Am I confused?

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006
No sure what you are looking at, but there is no separate contacts icon on my iPhone. Contacts are buried in the Phone app.

Until I added some web apps, there was no page 2 on my phone either.

Am I confused?

Yes, because they're talking about the 2.0 firmware which you (unless you're a dev with the beta) don't have.

iFerd

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2007
Yes, because they're talking about the 2.0 firmware which you (unless you're a dev with the beta) don't have.
OK, thanks. I got misled by the "since they included it" comment. In my world, they haven't yet included it. But I'll be happy for having it next Friday.

Niiro13

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2008
Illinois
That is because the contacts app is on the 2nd page of the home screen by default. Not sure why they did it this way, but that's where it shows up.

Apple's ashamed to have it :D.

I know there has been some discussion about the contacts button in the 2.0 beta software and that it may just be in the beta so you could access it through the simulator on a computer but in the Guided Tour video the Contacts icon is still there. Any idea why this would be there? or would it just end up being more clutter..

Because if they don't , some people will complain. Whilst none of us might use it, there are some who do..it's like those who'd rather have the music and video icon instead of just the iPod.

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
Apple's ashamed to have it :D.

Because if they don't , some people will complain. Whilst none of us might use it, there are some who do..it's like those who'd rather have the music and video icon instead of just the iPod.

Yup. People like me. :p ;)

I'd love separate Music and Video icons… The new Contacts icon is a step in th right direction…

Choice is always good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.