Contacts Listed in iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by draperm25, Nov 8, 2007.

1. draperm25 macrumors regular

draperm25

Hi all,

Just a quick question about your contacts listed on the iPhone. Do they list them in alphabetical order by the surname or by the first name,

eg:
    By Surname

Mary Anderson
    Ben Davies
    Tina Teaspoon

Or by First Name

Ben Davies
    Mary Anderson
    Tina Teaspoon (lol dont know where the heck this came from)

I am just wondering as i have always had my contacts listed in order of first name (dont know if this is done by ALL uk phones?) and to have them listed by Surname would (for me) take a bit of getting use to it.

Just thought i'd ask.

Many Thanks

2. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

Either way, it's a setting. You can independently control sort order and display order as "First Last" or "Last, First".

3. draperm25 thread starter macrumors regular

draperm25

4. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

5. Project macrumors 68020

I sort it First, Last. It seems more logical to me.

6. hobo macrumors regular

Sorted by Last, First. I have correct contact information for all but a few fake names (someone is Jesus Christ in my phone, another is just the letter O), so it's really easy to find. Plus, it's helpful when I need to call several siblings.

There's one problem: any contact created on my iPhone goes to the end of the letter. Contacts created in Address Book on my Mac have no issue being alphabetical, but this is what happens when the contact is created on iPhone:

Pa....
    Pi....
    Pr....
    Pu....
    Po.... (this one is created on iPhone)

It's only been since I upgraded to 1.1.1, I think, but it's not too big of a deal. If it bothers me too much, I just create a new contact on my computer with the same and then sync both, then delete the old one. Dumb, but it's not hard.

7. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

I changed them all to have First and Last name in the First Category. It bothered me that it bolded one or the other.