Contacts missing but can be found in search

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by jeff369, Feb 16, 2010.

1. jeff369 macrumors newbie

So when I click my contacts icon on the iphone a bunch of my contacts are missing. If I use the search function, the page to the left of the home screen, i can find contacts I've added and ones I'm looking for, but they dont show up under contacts. There're obviously on the phone somewhere, but I dont know where. O and if I add a contact via the contact icon, push the little green plus sign, and add it manually it will show up under the contacts, but if i try and save something from resent calls or maps and say add to contacts, new contact, it doesn't show up. Also if I add a contact to outlook and sink, it wont show up either. Thanks and hopefully this is pretty clear.

2. bozzykid macrumors 68020

Are you sure you aren't viewing a sub group when you bring up contacts? Have you tried hitting the Groups button at the top left of the contacts screen?

3. jeff369 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for responding. I did try hitting groups and only group is "All contacts."

4. hsk macrumors regular

Is it not where you think it should be or not there at all? What I mean - if you enter "Steve Smith" as a contact, have you looked for him under both Steve and Smith? Sometimes the iPhone will order contacts a little differently than Outlook does.

5. cx92envy macrumors newbie

I am having the exact same issue! The contact isn't there at all! If I search it pulls them up. I actually urn sinked from mobile me and there are no contacts in my phone. If I search they show up. If I resink they are there except for the ones recently added?

6. gdzb macrumors newbie

i have the same problem , i think its since i synced my contacts with google contacts.
    any help anyone?

7. iPhineUser101 macrumors newbie

Same EXACT issue

I have the exact same issue, iPhone 4.0 update did not solve the issue.

When adding contacts from maps, email, or any other method on the iPhone itself they will NOT be in the contacts list. So if you search for a contact it will not be there and will not sync. But if you add a contact by way of the little plus sign then all works perfectly, the same goes for adding a contact in Outlook, works perfectly.

So can anyone help solve this? BTW i use MobileMe, so was thinking this maybe the issue?

8. Wrathwielder macrumors newbie

iOS4 didn't fix this for me either...

I just got a call that wasn't in my contacts list. I chose to add the person right from the "recent call" list.
    I added the entry, and now it ONLY shows up under ALL CONTACTS, but not under CONTACTS.
    I use ONLY MobileMe over-the-air sync for my contacts and calendar.

The workaround you guys can try is to log in to your MobileMe account, being up ALL contacts, find the new entry, and DRAG it into your CONTACTS group.

I wonder where these contacts are being stored? I think this only happens when you have more groups than the default CONTACTS group because I don't remember it behaving this way before I started using multiple contact groups to manage some of my info...

-Greg

9. dieselpower44 macrumors newbie

Hey did anyone figure this out yet? It's really annoying me now!
    Where are these contacts being stored? I don't want to manually add them because then I'll end up with duplicates!

This happened with me when I installed HulloMail which was supposed to add contacts for activating/deactivating the service and it did, just somewhere else entirely and I can't see them in Contacts, only search. But if I manually type it into the keypad, under the number the contact name appears!

Is this a bug in iOS4?

10. vasg macrumors newbie

Same thing here

Same thing here.

Very annoying, can only view my new contacts under ALL Contacts.

11. dieselpower44 macrumors newbie

Right think I've solved it. What I did was realize that MobileMe is absolutely useless at syncing things properly. So I turned on "Sync Contacts" in the Info tab on my iPhone, clicked "merge" in the popup, let that sync, then disabled contacts syncing (same checkbox, just disabled it now) and now the ghost contacts appear in All Contacts and the iPhone Contacts is empty. This is as good a workaround I can get since there is clearly a bug in the way that the iPhone handles contact groups and MobileMe syncing.

Hope this at least helps some of you!