Contacts not properly syncing with AW

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by BrettApple, May 11, 2017.

1. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

So this has been going on for quite a while, a couple of months at least. When I get messages on my watch (S0) (latest watchOS 3.x update) it shows as just a phone number for the most part where some are actually names. I've noticed if I go to the phone app and select the contacts it only syncs contacts after the letter P. Or after this third reset, last names starting with J and on, nothing before that shows up (ex. John Andrews wouldn't sync but John Matthews would).

I have reset the AW and it has made no difference (unpair, repair, and reset button). I've restored my iPhone fresh to 10.3.1 no backups, same problem. I have also just yesterday reset the watch and phone once more just in case and still have the same problem. Only some contacts show up. All are present and accounted for on my iPhone and stored in iCloud and Google and have worked just fine since I got it via preorder in 2015 so this is a new issue.

Any ideas? I've also tried the "reset sync settings" in the watch app on my iPhone and it had no effect.

It's driving me nuts because I don't always know who its from without the name, and I can't use Siri to send messages or call people anymore.

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

• AW.jpeg
      AW.jpeg
      File size:
      163.3 KB
      Views:
  2. sam.mcneill macrumors newbie

My partner had this same problem, I tried everything you've tried and couldn't fix it. She turns her watch off every night and after a couple of days all her contacts were suddenly back on her watch. I know that's not a great fix, so apologies, but it seems the old classic of turn it off and on again worked this time...

3. pedrowerner macrumors regular

pedrowerner

That's certainly a bug that's been happening to me a lot since almost half of the time I see my messages, my contacts won't show their names, only their phone numbers

4. Lion007s macrumors regular

Lion007s

I was having the same issue for the last 4-5 months, every time I decided to wear my traditional watch to a fancy event, I would return home to find that my Apple Watch once in a while would revert to incorrectly syncing my phone book.

I tried everything you tried. My contacts are only synced with icloud, so I turned off "Contacts" in icloud settings. I waited 5 mins. Then, I turned it back on. I waited 15 mins. Looked at watch, every contact was synced correctly. Since you sync with gmail as well, I would turn contacts setting off for that too and do what I did with the icloud contacts. Open the Phone app on the watch to see if contacts have synced correctly.

5. BrettApple thread starter macrumors 65816

BrettApple

Finally checking in. Thanks all!

I'm just glad to know its not just my watch, especially after resetting the watch and phone multiple times to rule that out.

Rebooting and even yesterdays watchOS 3.2.2 update didn't fix anything.

I may try the contacts on/off deal suggested by @Lion007s above. Certainly annoying but not the end of the world.