Contacts not syncing completely

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by vistadude, Feb 20, 2011.

1. vistadude macrumors 65816

I searched this up in macrumors, apple's site, and through google, and didn't find anyone having the same problem as me. My iphone 4 and windows 7 contacts sync okay for the most part, except in 2 ways. 1) In my iphone, I set email addresses as Home and Work, but after the sync, all the email labels turn into "other" on the phone. 2) I have a custom field for google voice phone numbers, but these do not sync at all to windows contacts.

Does anyone know how to get these issues working? Thanks in advance.

2. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

Are you syncing with your Google Voice account also? I've discovered that my iPhone doesn't list numbers unless the description is that same at both Google and on the pre-defined list on my iPhone.

Also, depending on how you sync and what you're syncing to, you might or might not be able to add custom labels on the iPhone.

I sync my iPhone contacts to Google via Exchange and I have ten possible labels: home, work, work fax, mobile, car, home fax, pager, assistant, company main, and radio.

My Mac's Address Book is synced to Google via the method I have setup here.

3. vistadude thread starter macrumors 65816

No I'm not syncing with google voice. In windows contacts, it realizes which is home and work email addresses, but for some reason, they always are categorized as manual in my iphone contacts.

I also can't sync with google because I have a completely different address book with them that I don't want to mix into my phone.

4. vistadude thread starter macrumors 65816

Bump.

So nobody else is having an issue with email categories in windows contacts?

5. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

I see. Seems like everyone has a different setup!

It's too bad Apple doesn't have a cheaper version of MobileMe...one that doesn't include email and iDisk. Just has the contacts and calendars.

I've had clients on MobileMe that I've told to keep it for contacts and calendar just because it would cost them too much for me to change them over to Google.