Contacts on iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by kerpow, Jun 11, 2010.

1. kerpow macrumors 6502

When I got my iPhone last year I had a few problems and was given a free year's subscription to MobileMe. I set it up on the phone but have never used it as I have a web domain of my own for mail and web and there are plenty of free storage sites like DropBox for storage.

As my MobileMe subscription will expire in a couple of weeks so I removed it from the accounts on my phone. Without any warning at all, all of my contacts vanished. Obviously I've added the account back on to the phone and the contacts have returned but I need to know how to copy the contacts onto the phone so that when the subscription does expire I can still access them.

2. kerpow thread starter macrumors 6502

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Why aren’t your contacts synced to software on your computer (e.g., Address Book)?

4. kerpow thread starter macrumors 6502

I assumed they were. I take backups of the iPhone every few weeks. I don't use Contacts on my MacBook Pro at all though, just use Gmail.

Anyway, why are the contacts on the iPhone stored on the phone rather than in the MobileMe cloud?