Contacts opening mail app in background.

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by HighLife420, Aug 29, 2009.

1. HighLife420 macrumors 6502a

Can a few people check this for me..

Open up whatever program you use to check processes...MAKE SURE MAIL IS NOT RUNNING IN THE BACKGROUND. To be sure, open up the mail app and force close it (hold power till slider to power off, release and hold home button till mail app closes and goes to home screen).

Now, open up your contacts, open a persons name that has a email address...stop there...

Now open up whatever program you use and check the background processes..

Is mail app running in the background?

This is happening to me, been trying to check it on a friends non jailbroken iphone.

Thanks for your time...having issues with my mail being checked whenever i open up someone in my contacts. Im thinking its something to due with the ability to email the person straight from there. However, im trying duplicate this on other peoples phones.

2. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Yes, opening contacts causes the mail application to open. Mine's a Jailbroken 3G. If you're worried about it checking your mail, you can always just disable the account in Settings>Mail, Contact, and Calendars>[your email address].

3. HighLife420 thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks, just checking this out...people at Apple forums seem to think its only my phone that is doing this..in a huge round about way, i tricked him into answering a few different questions about the email program...he didnt want to admit it, it was clear..but asking the breakdown of questions instead of the one got him to say it was not as intended.

Anyone else confirm this happens?

Anyone NOT jailbroken and this happening? I cant seem to believe that this would be caused by jailbreaking.

4. Pattycerts macrumors 6502

5. HighLife420 thread starter macrumors 6502a

no, every setting is set to manual or off...which is push and fetch features...in the settings panel and in each accounts setting panel via email app.

6. HighLife420 thread starter macrumors 6502a

well, just getting another phone as a replacement for my first iphone.

I had to restore my original phone back to stock (no JB) to return it obviously...

well, i did notice that this DOES NOT happen unless the phone is jailbroken.

I noticed this right off the bat...so i decided to test the jailbreaking..

I did jailbreak the phone again and installed SBSettings to watch the background processes, NOTHING else. I went into settings...opening everything...noticed Ipod was opening in the background while browsing its setting.

Also, noticed that when you open contacts, and start to browse, you will open mail in the background.

So its either SBSettings or the jailbreaking...i can confirm this DID NOT happen with a none JB device.

7. Offshore1 macrumors regular

Offshore1

Mine is not jail broken and will fetch mail as described above. Everything is set to manual or off. My 3g iPhone did not have this problem.

8. hostolis macrumors newbie

So how can you confirm that mail.app does NOT open if you do not have SBSettings installed (non-JB you said) to check if it runs at the backround?

9. HighLife420 thread starter macrumors 6502a

im using istat, but there are a few others that will show your background processes.

but another way to tell is if your mail downloads....if you have the mail app closed whenever it opens for the first time it will download mail....so if you drop contacts and notice you have the new email number on the mail icon, then it opened =)

10. gitarzysta macrumors newbie

3.0.1 3gS - same issue

Count me in - I have a jailbroken 3gs ver 3.0.1, used redsn0w to JB it, and Mail opens anytime I enter Contacts application

11. Heinekenguy macrumors newbie

My 3GS was jailbroken since 3.1.2 and it never happened to me.

After I upgraded to 4.0.1 (and jailbroken it) I noticed that every time I enter Contacts application, the Mail app runs in the background and fetch my e-mails.
    All my e-mail fetching configurations are set either to manual or off.

Has anyone found a solution for this annoyance ? :mad:

12. THE dAY macrumors 6502

Same here for me, mail is fully set to manual but while in contacts or on a call my mail will check, I can here the mail sound.

Not a major issue in my book, btw I'm on a jailbroken iPhone 4 with 4.0.1

13. gitarzysta macrumors newbie

I have never found out why this happens. But I don't care anymore unless I'm roaming, as I have data plan big enough not to care :)