Contact's phone number type

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Zero!sOne, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Zero!sOne macrumors member

So when I added a new contact's phone number today, I noticed that among the standard types of number (work, mobile, home, etc.) one of the options was iPhone. I had never noticed this feature before, so I started going through all of my contacts to change all of the known iPhone numbers to the proper type.

What I found was that I can't change the type of number on any of my existing contacts to "iPhone," but all of the other standard options are there. If I create a new contact, the option is there.

Does anyone know of any way to change existing contacts' number types to "iPhone" without having to make all new contacts?

Also, is there any benefit of labeling a number with this type (other than to satisfy my contact-organization-OCD)? Any special iPhone-to-iPhone contact features?

2. NYDiplomat macrumors regular

Have that person call you from there iPhone or facetime.

3. Zero!sOne thread starter macrumors member

I have FaceTimed multiple times with at least two of my existing contacts, and the option still doesn't appear for them.

4. sharpycl macrumors 6502

sharpycl

I have the same issue. Although I didn't' know about having everyone who has an iPhone call me to be able to change it.

Almost everyone I know whom has an iphone I've been able to change their phone number type but this one person, this one person I've only ever texted from my phone.

You're not alone OP.