Contacts saved to sim???

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by czarredd, Aug 4, 2009.

1. czarredd macrumors member

When you add contacts to the iphone, are they automatically saved to the sim card. If not, how do you save to the sim? Thanks!

2. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

No, they are saved to the phone, AFAIK, the only way to back them up is through iTunes, I do not thin kyou can move them to the Sim, unless AT&T has a way to do it over bluetooth.

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

No, for some reason, contacts are saved on the iPhone and not the sim. You can import contacts from the sim from your prior phone, but there's no way to put contacts on the iPhone sim.

4. czarredd thread starter macrumors member

So when you restore, any new contacts are gone huh???

5. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

Not if you sync'ed to your iTunes first. If you didn't sync and you did a restore then whatever ones that were added after your last sync will be gone.

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

No, because you do a backup before the restore. The backup contains contacts. It's also a good idea to sync your contacts to Address Book or Outlook.

Edit: Or MobileMe. I tend to not like paying for things, if I don't have to.
    VVVVV

7. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Unless you have backed them up via Sync to iTunes, yes. You could always get MobileMe and any new contacts will push to your clous and to any computer you wish.

8. bluedukies8 macrumors 6502

bluedukies8

There used to be a way if you have a jailbroken iPhone. Not sure if you still can.

I know AT&T can put them on your sim for you, just make sure that the store you go to has the correct cable for their machine they use.

9. czarredd thread starter macrumors member

Are any of you using iDrive to backup contacts?

10. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Any other way to upload your contacts from your iphone to your simcard?
    Maybe a jailbroken app out there that does that simple function.
    I dont trust these website to upload all my personal info to.

12. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Uh, you can't load contacts to a sim card on the iPhone. They're stored on the iPhone itself.

I've been searching for a way to do this (actually was trying to help someone in another thread who lost their computer and wants to update). Funambol is one way. Google sync and of course, MobileMe (but I refuse to pay). However, I've heard that both don't sync perfectly, but maybe that's old news.

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I know that you cant do it and that they're saved on the iphone.
    Just looking for a hack thru cydia or some other program that would allow something like that.
    I dont want to bother with mobileMe either.
    Whats up with funambol and google sync?

14. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I've not heard of any hack.

Funambol and Google Sync supposedly lose some of the information from your contacts. I guess if all you have are the names and phone numbers, they're probably okay. But from what I've read not all of the fields that you might use in the Contacts correspond to either of those programs. Maybe they've fixed it by now. Also the pictures for contacts might get lost, but that's fairly easy to fix. I was going to try Funambol, but it says they can use the info from my contacts for marketing, so I'm still thinking about it.

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Interesting.
    Thanks for the feedback.
    I know that most regural cellphones just use name and phone numbers stored on the simcard.
    So if you have a picture attached or home address, email addresses, homepage, Instant messenger screenname and tons of other stuff you can add to a contact name probably wont copy over.
    As long as if you have more than 1 phone number for a specific contact copys I'd be happy without all the other details.
    Just the phone numbers would do.
    Any way to sync it thru outlook and save it somewhere maybe?

16. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Well, of course you can sync to Outlook or Address Book, but this is for the guys who either lost their computer or had their computer crash or something (and weren't smart enough to backup). I have my contacts synced to Outlook and I have backups. You see people come on this site all the time who didn't backup or sync though. So, some way for them to get their contacts off the iPhone would be nice.

17. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I hear you.
    Its not for us safe and prepared for the worst type of guys :D

18. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I looked at the 3rd party stuff more closely. They can only store the data, and can't use it to spam. So, my only other problem is that you have to enter your phone number to join this. IDKY they need that.

19. bradenwh macrumors 6502

It is possible to store contacts to the iPhone's SIM card, but no one's developed an app on 2.x or 3.x to do it yet.
    There was an app on 1.1.4 called iSim that did just that. It worked really well too. But since 2.0, it hasn't been updated.

20. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I wonder why? That would seem like a very useful app to have and most people would easily pay $0.99 for it (or if it was free everyone would have it and they could put ads on and make lots of money that way).

21. bradenwh macrumors 6502

I'm not sure. It was developed by Makayama. Here's the original link: http://www.makayama.com/iphonesim.html

22. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

They want 12.95 for it though. I figured it had to be jailbroke. Oh well. I'm going to see if I can develop something then, if it's possible.