Contacts slow to load on 3G iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by antsh, Jul 15, 2008.

1. antsh macrumors member

Hi everyone, I bought my first Apple product, a 3G iPhone recently. I love it so far, but there is one thing that is sort of bugging me. When I go into contacts, the screen shows up, but its sort of "stuck" for a few seconds. It takes about 5 seconds before the phone responds to any input from me. I was wondering if this was a common issue right now? Thanks in advance.

2. duffyanneal macrumors 6502a

duffyanneal

Yeah, this seems to be a bug in the new software since it affects the previous gen iPhone as well. I've been getting around the slow down by accessing Contacts thru the Phone App. Hopefully, Apple addresses this and other slow downs that seem to plague this version of the software.

3. Pwned macrumors regular

Pwned

Same thing happens with mine. My keyboard also gets a little laggy from time to time as well.

4. skeep5 macrumors 6502a

skeep5

having the exact same issue. SIGH guess we just wait for an update.

5. Calypso macrumors newbie

Same issue here as well. I notice it when texting sometimes, input is slow or keyboard doesn't respond right away. Also noticed it with contacts. Good to know that its software and not something wrong with the iphone itself, but an update fixing it would be cool too.

6. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

It is happening with more then just the contacts app. SMS, ICE and even the iPod have "Lag" delays that take 2-5 seconds before it is usable. Hard reset, Restore and all other methods do not fix it. There is definitely an annoying bug! Hopefully, we get a patch soon and not have to wait six months.

7. PaulMBPEngland macrumors newbie

PaulMBPEngland

This is also happening to my iphone 3g

Its annoying !

8. vrflyer macrumors 6502

vrflyer

First time iPhone user here I can confirm same on both phones, laggy under the "Contacts" app vs. "Phone" app"...

9. mautal macrumors member

possibly a problem due to apps?

I have the exact same problem with the lag... But did you guys have this problem before installing apps? I ask becuase I used my phone for 2 days without plugging it into my Mac or downloading any apps just because I was too busy too... and in those two days the phone worked like a charm, contacts did not lag, none of the home applications did...

as soon as i started downloading apps from the app store... I hit a wall and started having all these problems... a friend of mine said it has something to do with memory leaking, and can be fixed with new firmware... i hope soo

10. mautal macrumors member

possibly a problem due to apps?

I have the exact same problem with the lag... But did you guys have this problem before installing apps? I ask becuase I used my phone for 2 days without plugging it into my Mac or downloading any apps just because I was too busy too... and in those two days the phone worked like a charm, contacts did not lag, none of the home applications did...

as soon as i started downloading apps from the app store... I hit a wall and started having all these problems... a friend of mine said it has something to do with memory leaking, and can be fixed with new firmware... i hope soo

11. latestmonkey macrumors 6502

Nope. Mine lags like crazy right out of the box.

12. Soreo macrumors regular

Soreo

Well, from all of this feedback, we can say that it's definitely a software problem that must be fixed.

So don't worry. It's not only your iPhone. It's all of ours.
    :)

13. fireb0x macrumors member

I am happy to hear that lots of people are having this problem. I thought it was because of MobileMe needed to do a quick check for updates before it will respond to input, but this shows me I am wrong, which makes me happy.

14. skeep5 macrumors 6502a

skeep5

you might be on to something... i wonder if that's the issue?

15. shinenjk macrumors regular

Yep happens w/ me also. Everything works fine but whenever I go to the contact list there's a slight lag. I think it's more of a software/bug issue and we'll just have to wait until they fix it. It's slightly annoying but hey it could be worse.

16. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

17. nfg315 macrumors regular

nfg315

I have the lag with the Contacts app, but basically no problem at all if I go to contacts through the Phone app.

...probably why they put in on the second page ;)

18. jivedingo macrumors newbie

partial fix

I've had these problems myself, and here's a hack that seems to fix the slow keyboard at least - when you notice that the keyboard is slow, make a call, then go back to using it and it should be faster.

I'm guessing this is because the phone app is able to either free up the iphone's SRAM, or maybe quit any other running apps. Makes sense, since the phone is supposed to be the most important part of the device.

Not sure if this helps with the contacts, haven't tested yet

19. jivedingo macrumors newbie

if you call a * number that doesn't exist, it's pretty quick and doesn't cost you anything

20. AdiGital macrumors newbie

I had this problem since beginning (3G). Then I read some guys reporting the problem fixed after 2.0.2 update. I still had the problem. Then I realised that it may be due to the fact that I've been using backuped data from my 2G. Yesterday (after eWalled with sync option was released) I restored the 2.0.2 and registered the phone as new device to avoid any old crap from backup. While it was quite clean the lag was mostly between 0.5 to 1 sec. After I installed just few apps the lag is back to about 5 seconds. I gave up.

21. segaodma macrumors newbie

This is your problem... You all have a lots of contacts!
    You get approximately 1 sec delay for every 100 contacts!
    Even the apps that do not use the contacts will hang before starting to work.
    I don't know why though.
    Try this... get erase contacts from Cydia and delete all the contacts you have in the phone.
    Not in your Outlook so you can restore them later again.
    Then try opening the same apps that were hanging for 5 secs, they will load instantly with no delay.
    I did this and that is the problem for all of us.
    I do not have a solution for it, but that is the problem.
    I just wonder why all of the apps started hanging, not only the ones that are related to the address-book.
    Cheers!

22. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Guess you didn't notice that this thread is almost 3 years old.:rolleyes: