Contacts & SMS texts-Resyncing iPhone 4 with new Macbook

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bcgullett, Feb 22, 2011.

1. bcgullett macrumors newbie

bcgullett

Question: Will I lose my Contacts and Text Messages currently on phone when re-syncing with Mac for the first time?

Background: I currently have an iPhone4 and a MacBook Pro. My phone was synced with my Pro and everything was fine. This weekend the hard drive on my Pro crashed and had to be replaced. After getting my computer back I began to get things back to where they were before the crash. I synced and backed up my iPhone daily before the crash, so all my music is on my iPhone After the replacement was installed, of course all that was gone off my computer, but still on my phone. I purchased a program called iRip 2.0 and transferred all my music from my phone back to iTunes. As far as music goes i am set and happy. I have the auto sync option turned off on my iTunes. I hooked my iphone to my computer for the first time after the replacement and backed up my iphone from how it was on the last sync and back up before the computer crashed. I've got my iTunes ready to resync with my iPhone for the first time with the new computer. When I do this is brings up that i will have to erase iPhone and replace it since the computer is new. Everything is in place to re-sync, but I am curious if I will lose my Contacts and Text messages currently on the phone once it re-syncs?

2. oakie macrumors 6502

oakie

a syncing operation will not wipe your phone. it will however transfer contacts from your phone and repopulate your address book on the mac if you set it to do so in itunes.

3. bcgullett thread starter macrumors newbie

bcgullett

I did not have my iphone set to sync with my mac. I did hook my phone to itunes last night and did a back up rather than the initial sync. my logic is that if itunes does erase all my contacts, messages, and such i should be able to reload from the backup. Does this sound about right?

4. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

do you also have apps on the phone that you want to save?

5. bcgullett thread starter macrumors newbie

bcgullett

do you also have apps on the phone that you want to save?

Yes I do.

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You need to right click on the iPhone icon in iTunes and transfer purchases.

7. bcgullett thread starter macrumors newbie

bcgullett

The transferring purchases worked like i had hoped. Thank you for that information. Still curious where I can store my contacts on my Mac before I sync it just in case I lose them. Also, should I anticipate losing my text messages when I sync it for the first time since replacing my hard drive?

8. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

If the contacts are on your phone, they will transfer when you sync it. Just make sure you review the device tabs before you sync for the first time, especially the Summary and Info tabs. You might also have a look at the Apps tab and rearrange your apps to match your phone, they will be jumbled up after you "transferred purchases". The texts should be ok since you aren't setting up as "new".

9. bcgullett thread starter macrumors newbie

bcgullett

Thanks JamesMB, it worked just as you described

10. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Glad you got it all working. Did you take a deep breath, before you hit that sync button?:D