Contacts Sync....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Deadman64, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Deadman64 macrumors 6502a

So I'm currently syncing my contacts to outlook (I have no outlook accounts setup so I'm not sure where they are going....).

I want to change it to either google contacts or at least windows contacts. But I'm worried if I change it I will lose all the contacts on my phone, if I change this on the sync settings will it sync to this "new" sync location and sync over the blank contact list wiping my contacts on my phone???

Also how does google contacts work?

Thanks ahead of time.

2. iGuardian macrumors 6502a

iGuardian

You said outlook, so I'm guessing, Windows?

No, it will not erase the contacts on your phone. It will "merge" them. At least that's what it did on my Mac. What it does is every tme you sync your iPhone with iTunes it syncs and changes the contacts on Google or on your iPhone (from google) instead of through outlook.

3. Deadman64 thread starter macrumors 6502a

But with google will it need me to sign into a gmail account? or does it just assume the mail account I have setup on my phone or what?

4. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

you will need to make a gmail email account. then you setup the gmail account and then set that up in itunes I use push to sync my calender and contacts with gmail. but that will erase your contacts and calendar the first time.

5. Jhanson09 macrumors regular

6. Deadman64 thread starter macrumors 6502a

So...if I select sync to google contacts and then enter my gmail acct. stuff AND then sync my phone normally, WILL it delete all my contacts or not at that point?

Thx.

7. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

no it won't . if you use the exchange method first it would. best to use the itunes method to get the contacts on google then set up an exchange account to do it over the air if you want. but even then when you set up the exchange account it will erase your contacts but then replace them with the ones on google. minus your settings for ringtones for each number.