Contacts to and from with iMac? Simple? Help?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by scooterguitar, Feb 15, 2011.

1. scooterguitar macrumors regular

I think I've read WAY too much into this and am worrying or overthinking it.
    iMac, but I never used or added any contacts in address book or the iCal.
    New iPhone, contacts transferred over at Verizon. As I've read and read on syncing, I've also come across some threads where people aren't happy with how their contacts appear or are setup on the iPhone. I'm one of them, but can live with it.

So, I have yet to sync with iTunes or plug into my iMac. I do have iTunes setup to NOT auto sync when something is plugged in.

I want/wish to simply sync my contacts from my phone to my mac. Then on the mac rearrange and edit the contacts so they will be more concise (multiple #'s for people, email not assigned to people, etc). I assume this is pretty easy too?

Is there a tab or button in iTunes or elsewhere that let's you choose which way the sync goes? Meaning, from phone to mac or from mac to phone?

My main concern here is; after I sync my phone's contacts to the mac and do the rearranging is then how does it work or what happens when I next plug my phone into the mac to update the contacts/sync? How does it know to delete the phone's old contacts instead or going from mac to phone?
    Make sense?
    i,e. newly changed on mac's address book...
    John Doe had one phone #, his email is listed as jd@blank on phone...now merged or changed under John Doe, so that is now changed on the mac, but the phone still has the separate listings. Next time phone is hooked up, what happens?

FWIW, I have not did anything yet, just trying to understand it before and in-case something drastic happens.

See, told you I am overthinking it.

I appreciate any help or advice!

2. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

The first time you sync with iTunes, you will be asked if you want to merge your contacts.

After your first sync, if you make a change on your phone, or on the MAC, that change will be reflected on the other, the next time you sync with iTunes.

3. scooterguitar thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks.

My question still is, does it go by where/on what device the last change was made...if so, then I'm worrying for nothing.

ex: if I add a new contact on the mac, sync, phone is updated? And vice versa?

4. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

I answered that in my first post.

5. scooterguitar thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, thought so...just being a worry wart and wanting to make sure I understood.
    Appreciate it James! :)

6. solarozone macrumors newbie

syncing

ive tried to sync my contacts from my iphone to my mac but it says that my phone is linked to a different account and do i want to merge with that account?

any ideas? i do have an account on my work computer so i thought it mite mean that one...but dont want to merge and lose all of my contacts. Please help!

7. gigapocket1 macrumors 6502a

Merging wont delete your contacts...
    It does what it says merges lol

If your worried.. Right click your phone in itunes.. (the icon on the left side of itunes) and click backup..

This will backup your phone so just in case something does go wrong. You can just restore that backup and your contacts will be back...

Not to mention. you still have your contacts backed up with Verizon. So dont worry.. And probably also in a backup on your work desktop..