contacts when taking unlocked iPhone abroad

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by elguero, Oct 29, 2009.

1. elguero macrumors newbie

May 4, 2009
    Hello, very simple question. I will be taking my unlocked :apple: iPhone abroad for the first time and will be using a local prepaid SIM card while on my trip. My question is about the nature of contacts on the phone.
    If I start saving the local phone numbers of people I will visit now, will they (and all of my current contacts) still be on my phone when I put in a foreign SIM? Or will a virgin SIM have an empty contact list? I'd hate to have to do it all twice..
    If there is a setting where I can save everything onto the phone before pulling the SIM, please let me know.
    I also wonder if I'd have to enter the phone numbers with their full international code, but that would be less of a pain than adding them all again.
  2. r6girl Administrator/Editor

Staff Member

Sep 6, 2003
    Contact information is not stored on the SIM card - it's stored in the iPhone. As long as you sync your iPhone regularly with your computer (or use MobileMe or a similar service), you'll always have a back-up of your contacts on your computer.

When you use another SIM card, you may need to adjust your contact's phone numbers to include the appropriate country prefix. This is what I had to do when I used pre-paid SIM cards in my unlocked iPhone while in Spain earlier this year. I also had to enter APN settings (provided by the carrier) in order to get internet connectivity through the cellular networks.