Contacts with assigned custom ringtones now ring as the default???

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by GhostMac24, Aug 23, 2011.

1. GhostMac24 macrumors 6502

GhostMac24

I really only have two custom ringtones I utilize.....1 for my wife and 1 for my mom. All the rest of my calls get my default ringtone.

For some reason about a week ago, every time my wife or mom calls the phone rings in the default ring. I have gone back in to make sure their contact info has the proper ringtone. They do but for some reason it doesn't ring with that ringtone anymore.

My ringtones are all listed in my iTunes ringtones library, listed on my phone under ringtones when connected to iTunes, as well as listed in my ringtones on the phone and I can select the various tones.

I'm stumped as to why this happened. Any idea as to what I need to do to fix this is greatly appreciated!

FYI...my iPhone us the original 4gb model running software version 3.1.3 which is up to date.

And yes, I know it's old. I am going to get the iPhone 5 when it comes out.

2. ah123 macrumors regular

Never had this issue before.

Have you tried backing-up / restoring your phone to see if that fixes the problem?

3. GhostMac24 thread starter macrumors 6502

GhostMac24

4. GhostMac24 thread starter macrumors 6502

GhostMac24

Well, as it turns out, it was more than just a glitch. The phone was on it's way out. When I tried to restore, it just died. It wouldn't activate, wouldn't backup, nothing! So I ran up to the Apple store and they tested it out. Turns out the board is dead.

Great, didn't want to buy a new one when we are probably only about a month or two away from the iPhone5 which I was planning on upgrading to.

The genius bar employee that was helping me said that to get a new one (iPhone4) he could do it for $199 and I would not have a new contract. However, I didn't care to spend $199 for 2 months. He then offered another option. He said he could say the battery was dead and offer me a battery replacement phone for $79. I took that deal as I need a phone until I can replace with the iPhone5. The good news is it will be a brand new (refurb) original iPhone that when I upgrade in the next month or two, I can give it to my 4 year old to use as an ipod touch. Win-win.