Contemplatig JailBreak...need a few answers 1st!

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Boxheed, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Boxheed macrumors member

Hey there everyone! I just bought my 1st Iphone a few weeks ago. I love it, it's great. I have done extensive research on jailbreaking it and I think I am sold on it. I am very close to making the move and doing it! However I have just a few questions that I cannot find answers for before I do it. Please help me out......I am not a computer wiz or a hacker by any means! I downloaded QuickPwn 2.2 and I have IPhone with 2.2 the newest software, also ITunes 8.0.2 I believe. Anyways, after I JB can I still plug in my IPhone USB and use ITunes to add music and Apple Apps? Will it accept a JBed phone? Also, can I still browse and download from the Apple App Store even though I also have Cydia? And lastly I believe.....if and when I decide to restore my Iphone to UNjailbreak it, will I still have all of my apps that were on it before I JBed it? Or will they be gone and have to be downloaded all over again? as well as my music and contacts? I am not computer savvy and need help please. Thanks!

2. kalex macrumors 65816

yes to all questions.

when u restore it from jailbreak to non jailbreak you will have to reinstall all your apps through itunes.

3. Boxheed thread starter macrumors member

I have read in another thread that there is some sort of bug in OS version 10.5.6 or something? And not accepting a DFU phone in version 8.0.2 of iTunes. What does that exactly mean? Sorry for all the dumb questions I'm just still a little nervous! But thank you for replying so quickly and helping me out.

4. Boxheed thread starter macrumors member

Oops! Nevermind I just found out that the 10.5.6 OS is for Mac and I have windows! See how advanced I am! HaHa

5. patdesignsinc macrumors regular

patdesignsinc

It's nice that you want to jailbreak, but I would hold off for at least a couple months. Experience the joy of the iPhone as it is before you alter it. That way, when you DO jailbreak, you will appreciate it more. That's just my opinion.

6. chris1016 macrumors member

I also have a question about JB. I have a first gen iPhone, and jailbroke once before, but restored since 2.0/App Store came out. Now I'm considering jailbreaking again, but the methods are different now--or at least they look different.

If I use QuickPwn on my Windows PC, do I have to restore to a new 2.2 firmware--losing all my info in the process? After the jailbreak is done, can I restore to a backup, or do I just sync with iTunes? Thanks, sorry if my question looks stupid. :eek:

7. Boxheed thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for your input. That is a good idea. I was thinking also that I better do it while I'm still in my 30 day trial with AT&T for signing new contract. That way if something goes wrong I can always exchange the phone for a new 16gb (I have the 8) and will only have to pay the $20 restocking fee, you know?!