contemplating 1st or 2nd gen?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by JustOneQuickONe, Dec 24, 2008.

1. JustOneQuickONe macrumors 6502

I am seriously looking into upgrading from my ipod video and going to a touch. I'm not sure what I want to get, I can get a 2nd gen 16 GB touch for $299 or get a refurb 32GB touch for $319. The reason I'm comparing these two and not equal models is because I don't want to spend $400 on the 2nd ger 32GB touch and this is the only refurb model. What do you all think about the refurb, which would you go for?

Also I have 14GB of movies/music but don't obtain music nearly as much now as I used to, which would be better keeping this in mind? How much actual memory does the ipod have? My video says it has 30 but only 27.3GB for the total capacity". Because of this issue I'm somewhat worried that the 16GB wont have enough space for the 14GB I have.

Convince me one way or the other :D

*feel free to point out new/old features that separate the 1st and 2nd gen apart and makes one better than the other.

TIA

2. ThunderBull4 macrumors 6502

Well what the 2nd gen has that the 2st gen doesn't is:

-faster processor
    -internal speaker
    -side volume buttons

the 1st gen can:
    -jailbreak

In your case i would get the 32gen refurb. Refurbs in my experience works just as good as brand new ones. Also with all that music/video, you'll want the extra space.

You'll need it for....
    -apps (although they dont take up much)
    -pictures (don't take up much either, but ull prolly have more cuz of the screen size)
    -files (you can add and view files using the Air Sharing application)

3. kyto macrumors member

it'll have enough room for your music/movies, but if you want to download apps you might have to delete a movie or two. I personally like the 2nd gen much better-

looks
    speaker
    mic capabilities

4. tsice19 macrumors 6502a

tsice19

They are both good. Personally, I'd buy a refurb 1st gen. The speaker and side buttons are nothing to rave about.

I'd rather get a cheap 32GB.

5. JustOneQuickONe thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm leaning towards the refurb but I do feel i would use the external speaker enough, even though I know its not that great. How long do you think till the 2nd gen can be found in the refurb store?

6. digitalprty macrumors newbie

I say go for the 2nd gen 16gig.
    I used to have a 40gig ipod photo a few years back with about 30gigs worth of stuff on it. When I bought my 1st gen 16gig ipod last year I knew I had to get rid of half of material that I could take with me. Turns out it was better that way. Most of the stuff I don't even listen to anyway.
    I upgraded to a 32gig 2nd gen ipod touch a few months ago. I have over 60gigs worth of stuff on my computer, but I only put about 10gigs on my ipod. Bottom line is, as much as you'd want to have all your music/videos on you at all times, there really is no reason to actually carry around all that material. Also, when you have less stuff on your ipod, there's less stuff you have to scroll through.
    The 2nd gen ipod touch has a better screen, feels better in your hand, has a speaker (which is actually better than I expected due to all the negative news about it), has external volume controls, and the best processor to handle games than any other ipod touch or iphone out now. Plus you save $20.

7. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

pretty soon now, they wait till after christmas usually, and seeing as thats 2marow soon. BUT there is currently no way to jailbreak the 2nd gen.

8. iObama macrumors 6502

iObama

I'd go with the 2nd gen. Looks nicer, IMO, and the side volume buttons are crucial to me.

9. JustOneQuickONe thread starter macrumors 6502

alright cool I'll wait a few days and see if they come out then and probably just get a 2nd gen refurb. The warranty and everything is still the same on refurbs right? Anyone have experience with ipod refub products?

thank you all for the great input, its been very helpful, even though its been pretty split down the middle :D I was hoping it would be lopsided towards one.

10. JustOneQuickONe thread starter macrumors 6502

Any experiences with refurbished ipods?

:) Merry Christmas and happy holidays!:apple:

11. LightDemon69 macrumors member

Ya, I had a 5G iPod that I got refurbished, and it is just like new. The exact same warranty, and all the same documentation. You will never be able to tell that it is refurbished.

----------------
    Now playing: The All-American Rejects - I Wanna
    via FoxyTunes

12. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I bought a refurb 8GB 1st gen iPod Touch, and it's been working very well for me, no problems except for a wireless issue that can hardly be attributed to the fact that it is a refurb. (Happens to new ones too) So I say go for the 32 GB 1G. :)

13. JustOneQuickONe thread starter macrumors 6502