Contemplating Airport Extreme

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by GaresTaylan, May 8, 2015.

1. GaresTaylan macrumors 6502a

I see that the most recent AirPort Extreme was introduced in 2013. How viable is it still and should I hold off on a purchase?

I used to have a very basic linksys router and upgraded to a model with wireless AC a couple years ago. My last 2 routers have been Asus. No matter how I set them up and even if I mod them with custom firmware I constantly have nothing but connection problems and it's only on Apple devices.

It's not uncommon to have to toggle wifi or reboot our laptops, phones or iPads. Especially on the 5GHz band. We're just getting tired of having this issue all the time. It could be that these devices just don't play well with these model Asus routers?

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

The late model high end ASUS routers will have higher benchmarks than an AirPort Extreme, but the Extreme will lead in terms of reliability and simplicity. I use one as the main router of the network at school which serves 150+ clients daily without issue. Definitely worth the money and Apple Refurbished offers them with full warranty and a nice discount!