Contemplating buying a mac, confused about .Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by shaley09, Apr 15, 2007.

1. shaley09 macrumors newbie

I have a connection to comcast internet. I don't want to spend even more money on another internet set-up.
    Can I use the advertised templates and web-setups without registering and paying out the nose for .mac?
    What is it anyway?
    If I don't want .mac, is it still in my best interest to get a mac?
    Will my harddrive camcorder files (SD and SDD) be able to be used through iLife?

2. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

You don't need .Mac. Most Mac users don't use it, in fact. It's a $99/year syncing/mail/hosting service (it's not an ISP, so don't compare it with Comcast) that for MOST purposes can be supplanted by better and/or cheaper options. All your iLife apps will still work wonderfully without .Mac. You can still use iWeb to create web sites and upload them any host you choose, for example.

3. orangemacapple macrumors 6502

don't worry about .Mac. it's free for 2 months to see if you like it when you buy a Mac.

you also get another free trial every time you do an re-install of your system on your hdd.

i don't use it, and a lot of others don't use it either. HOWEVER it does help newbies a bit with their tutorials. and you get an email account with it. i personally never liked the email account (but it is a status thing to have a .mac email account)

get a mac. you'll be happy.

if you want to spend the money, procare is a better alternative -- if you live somewhat near an apple store. it gives you personalized tutoring on macs andnearly every application you might want to use, as well as express help on your mac should you ever need repair.

applecare is almost a must if you get a laptop -- but wait until the 1st year is nearly up before you buy it. you may decide to upgrade by then (or heaven forbid you lose it or a truck runs over it -- in which case the money is wasted)

consider -- if you buy a macbook for $1000. at the end of a year you have a year old macbook worth what? is it worth spending 350 for 2 years warranty on a used year-old computer? yes, it's worth it if you're going to keep it for 2 more years -- no if you think you might want to upgrade to a snazzier model. that's why i say to wait until near the end of the original warranty period. (but it does give you unlimited phone support for the entire time.)

4. hkriffraff macrumors regular

There are a few disadvantages to not having .Mac--no ability to include comments on an iWeb blog, for example.

5. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

Yeah, but there's so many other easy and more powerful blog systems out there if you really want a full-fledged blog, like Wordpress.