Contemplating Cancelling my Order for 13" w/ TouchBar

jacob_w

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2015
77
27
My cousin started University this September studying film and bought off my 2015 15" base model rMBP. I only agreed to sell because I have a custom-built PC for CAD/CAM and didn't really end up using the horsepower of the 15" model. I thought I'd just wait a month or two to buy the new 13" MBP when it comes out.

However, now that the new line of MBP has been announced, I regret my decision, mostly because of the price and the lack of ports I currently need. I did pre-order a BTO 13" MBP (256 SSD, 16GB ram) with the Touch Bar but I'll have to pay an extra 1000CAD for it. Should I cancel the order and just get the 2015 13" MBP instead?
 

Blaqdymun

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2015
97
36
New York
My cousin started University this September studying film and bought off my 2015 15" base model rMBP. I only agreed to sell because I have a custom-built PC for CAD/CAM and didn't really end up using the horsepower of the 15" model. I thought I'd just wait a month or two to buy the new 13" MBP when it comes out.

However, now that the new line of MBP has been announced, I regret my decision, mostly because of the price and the lack of ports I currently need. I did pre-order a BTO 13" MBP (256 SSD, 16GB ram) with the Touch Bar but I'll have to pay an extra 1000CAD for it. Should I cancel the order and just get the 2015 13" MBP instead?
If the price point is the main deal breaker then I would say, you already answered that for yourself. Getting less for more especially when it directly relates to work, studies & lifestyle is a deal breaker. If you just want it for recreation not expecting it to be all that you need and to get the touch bar experience then I would go for it, that's exactly what I'm gonna do.

I may wait just a few months, I want to hear some reviews. It is a totally new feature that I am so excited about. I don't want to buy and be disappointed. I hope my thought sharing helps. I tend to jump on new tech on launch days and have such regrets. I am trying to contain my impulses.
 

kerrikins

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
1,202
436
My cousin started University this September studying film and bought off my 2015 15" base model rMBP. I only agreed to sell because I have a custom-built PC for CAD/CAM and didn't really end up using the horsepower of the 15" model. I thought I'd just wait a month or two to buy the new 13" MBP when it comes out.

However, now that the new line of MBP has been announced, I regret my decision, mostly because of the price and the lack of ports I currently need. I did pre-order a BTO 13" MBP (256 SSD, 16GB ram) with the Touch Bar but I'll have to pay an extra 1000CAD for it. Should I cancel the order and just get the 2015 13" MBP instead?
I would cancel it and go with the older one, sounds like you save money and gain functionality which is always a win.
 

ssong

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2015
635
443
London, UK
My cousin started University this September studying film and bought off my 2015 15" base model rMBP. I only agreed to sell because I have a custom-built PC for CAD/CAM and didn't really end up using the horsepower of the 15" model. I thought I'd just wait a month or two to buy the new 13" MBP when it comes out.

However, now that the new line of MBP has been announced, I regret my decision, mostly because of the price and the lack of ports I currently need. I did pre-order a BTO 13" MBP (256 SSD, 16GB ram) with the Touch Bar but I'll have to pay an extra 1000CAD for it. Should I cancel the order and just get the 2015 13" MBP instead?
I'm a uni student myself and I do compsci for masters. I was about to sell a 2015 15" base and buy a 13" 2016 rMBP and then it hit me that I'm selling a great machine for the sake of 'newer'. The component gains on the new models will be minimal and the only place you'll see any gains is probably battery performance.

Given it will be used mostly for uni use, you should remember most universities have really old H/W so support for legacy ports would be pretty important if you ever have to work with any of the uni facilities. I say wait it out for a few years, and get a new rMBP for yourself as a uni graduation gift but for the time being just go with the 2015 model as it still is a great machine. :)
 

Macalway

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2013
2,728
1,131
I'm returning my 13" non touch bar, and getting the 15". These are pretty nice, so i wouldn't cancel anything.

If you don't like it return it.
 

wegster

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2006
424
147
My cousin started University this September studying film and bought off my 2015 15" base model rMBP. I only agreed to sell because I have a custom-built PC for CAD/CAM and didn't really end up using the horsepower of the 15" model. I thought I'd just wait a month or two to buy the new 13" MBP when it comes out.

However, now that the new line of MBP has been announced, I regret my decision, mostly because of the price and the lack of ports I currently need. I did pre-order a BTO 13" MBP (256 SSD, 16GB ram) with the Touch Bar but I'll have to pay an extra 1000CAD for it. Should I cancel the order and just get the 2015 13" MBP instead?
Need more info. As you're using Windows for CAD/CAM work, what do/will you actually use the MBP for?
What do you 'need' or want to connect to it?
 

jacob_w

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2015
77
27
Need more info. As you're using Windows for CAD/CAM work, what do/will you actually use the MBP for?
What do you 'need' or want to connect to it?
I study engineering and finance so I mostly use the MBP for note-taking, presentations at school and of course entertainment when I am not at home. USB-A is what I use the most ofc, and for presentations I use HDMI.

If the price point is the main deal breaker then I would say, you already answered that for yourself. Getting less for more especially when it directly relates to work, studies & lifestyle is a deal breaker. If you just want it for recreation not expecting it to be all that you need and to get the touch bar experience then I would go for it, that's exactly what I'm gonna do.

I may wait just a few months, I want to hear some reviews. It is a totally new feature that I am so excited about. I don't want to buy and be disappointed. I hope my thought sharing helps. I tend to jump on new tech on launch days and have such regrets. I am trying to contain my impulses.
I'm a uni student myself and I do compsci for masters. I was about to sell a 2015 15" base and buy a 13" 2016 rMBP and then it hit me that I'm selling a great machine for the sake of 'newer'. The component gains on the new models will be minimal and the only place you'll see any gains is probably battery performance.

Given it will be used mostly for uni use, you should remember most universities have really old H/W so support for legacy ports would be pretty important if you ever have to work with any of the uni facilities. I say wait it out for a few years, and get a new rMBP for yourself as a uni graduation gift but for the time being just go with the 2015 model as it still is a great machine. :)

Thanks for sharing! I love shiny new gadgets too but I think you guys are right. For what I use the MBP for, honestly the base 2015 13" MBP would suffice. All of the power-intensive tasks can be done on the PC.
 

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
5,191
5,202
San Jose, CA
However, now that the new line of MBP has been announced, I regret my decision, mostly because of the price and the lack of ports I currently need. I did pre-order a BTO 13" MBP (256 SSD, 16GB ram) with the Touch Bar but I'll have to pay an extra 1000CAD for it. Should I cancel the order and just get the 2015 13" MBP instead?
If possible, try the keyboard of the new MBP in a store. The keys feel slightly different compared to the 12" Macbook's, but they have the same low key travel (I compared them side by side). Personally I cannot comfortably work with that keyboard. That combined with the loss of all standard ports and the high price pushed me over the edge to order a second 2015 13" MBP as long as the 16GB BTO versions are still available.

It's a shame though, since I like the slightly smaller case and lower weigt of the new model ...
 

jacob_w

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2015
77
27
If possible, try the keyboard of the new MBP in a store. The keys feel slightly different compared to the 12" Macbook's, but they have the same low key travel (I compared them side by side). Personally I cannot comfortably work with that keyboard. That combined with the loss of all standard ports and the high price pushed me over the edge to order a second 2015 13" MBP as long as the 16GB BTO versions are still available.

It's a shame though, since I like the slightly smaller case and lower weigt of the new model ...
I went to the Apple Store here in Montreal but there isn't any in display yet. Hopefully next week I'll get to try the keyboard. And I agree with you, I tried the keyboard on the New MacBook and I wasn't a fan either. Nevertheless, I think I'll be opting for the 2015 13" model as well.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Blaqdymun

jacob_w

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2015
77
27
Update: order cancelled :)
Hopefully someone here that was eagerly waiting for a new MBP can get it sooner now.
 

Attachments

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.