Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

El3ctronics

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 30, 2011
NYC
I know there were a few older threads about this but I need some advice so bare with me. I'm currently on an unlimited data plan with AT&T for my iPhone 4 but have never gone over 1.5 GB in a month. I bought an iPad 2 WiFi the other day and also own a Macbook Air. I would love to be able to tether both devices to my phone but am nervous to give up my unlimited plan "just in case." I should also mention that I use the devices mostly on WiFi at home and in my office but there are definitely times I will need use of 3G.

If I don't switch to a tethering plan, I'll probably switch from the WiFi iPad to the AT&T 3G version. Did anyone else have the same thought process and what was your ultimate decision? Any other opinions/suggestions are welcome as well. Thanks.

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2007
I'm currently on an unlimited data plan with AT&T for my iPhone 4 but have never gone over 1.5 GB in a month.
Same here, exactly.

I bought an iPad 2 WiFi the other day and also own a Macbook Air. I would love to be able to tether both devices to my phone but am nervous to give up my unlimited plan "just in case." I should also mention that I use the devices mostly on WiFi at home and in my office but there are definitely times I will need use of 3G.
Ditto for me again -- except I have not yet bought my iPad (and I have a PC).

I was all set to go with a WiFi iPad and jailbreak my iPhone 4 (which I've never done) then do the MiFi tether thing... but then I heard that AT&T is cracking down on that so I'm undecided again.

imutter

macrumors 6502
I tether at the moment and it is actually a better connection then I thought it would be and my Laptop can get great connection as well. I wanted to save $ and looked at usage first. It's easy just make the first connection and after that just turn it on on your phone. Now I do have to say I was not willing to give up my unlimited plan. I switched phone numbers and my son kept the unlimited plan ( he is the big user and went over every month anyway). Now if I say look at your usage, that should include the device you are going to tether as well.

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
If you're willing to jb, there's three programs you can use: MyWi, tetherme and PDA net.
MyWi creates an ad hoc hotspot. WEP security and other limitations.
Tetherme on 4.3 jb activates the iphone hotspot.
PDA net's free version can't be used for secure sites requiring a password, but the pay version functions just like any of the others.
Understand that tethering can use a lot of data. You're already pretty close to the 2 GB limit. Think about future usage with things like netflix, streaming audio, etc.

M-5

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
I'm still holding on to my Unlimited 3G, and I sometimes tether using that Handylight appliation that was released in the app store months ago. I rarely need to use it though. Now that 4G will probably come soon, I'm thinking that AT&T won't bring back the unlimitd plans, so I'm not sure how I'll feel about tiered pricing once the iPhones come out that take advantage of this network.

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
If you're one of those idiots who tether 25+GB a month, it's hard for you to deny to AT&T. However, if you're reasonable about usage, plausible deniability is a lot easier. I don't tether, but I use about 6-8 GB/month due to audio streaming.
If I don't stream for a few days and tether instead, it's a lot easier for me to slip it in.
Also, it depends on what program you're using. I've read that tetherme doesn't set off any alarms with AT&T, but I haven't seen confirmation. The author of tetherme is asking for people who've received this text to let him know.
Isn't AT&T cracking down on this? I heard they were getting pretty drastic about it.

mdlooker

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2011
US
I have the same thoughts as you all in here. Well these are the conclusions of that thought... AT&T will not terminate your contract but put you on a tiered plan, or they will never find out through TetherMe or they get rid of you and you go to Verizon.

To me, it's sort of a no lose situation to have low usage on an unlimited plan and tether rather than give up unlimited.

BigBeast

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2009
I bought the tethering plan. I used to have the unlimited plan, but was only consuming about 300 MB per month in data usage. So unlimited was really doing nothing for me. At the same time that I had unlimited data, I was using clearwire internet while at work to access the internet. Clearwire is the DEVIL! OMG I can sincerely say that I HATE clearwire. Try downloading ANYTHING on using their service (not they're 4G service but they're regular "high speed" service) like youtube, netflix, groovshark, even downloading school power point presentations- I ROUTINELY got 0.3kbps!!! WTF!?! So I switched to a tethering plan, saved myself $50- by not having to pay for clearwire and by better tailoring me and my wife's billl plan, and am so much happier!! BTW- I thought about switching from AT&T to Sprint or Verizon- I couldn't believe how fewer options you have! Sprint and Verizon aren't as flexible- like allowing to choose different options without bundling. AT&T has allowed me to tailor my minutes, data plan, and txting plan irregardless of each. Gotta say- happy I'm with AT&T. Also- in my area, data speeds on my iPhone are ROUTINELY double the speeds of Sprint and Verizon. Couldn't be happier...:D

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Bought a 3G iPad 2. I use roughly 3-4GB a month on my iPhone from Netflix alone (got long breaks between classes). I wish we were still able to get unlimited on our iPads!

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
I still have my unlimited plan. Seems to me, the best trade off would be for AT&T to give me free tethering to switch to a limited plan. This would actually limit my usage at no extra cost of bandwidth or money to them. But, that would be too logical. I'll think I just stick with my "unlimited" and gouge them.

El3ctronics

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 30, 2011
NYC
Well I made the move and switched to the 4GB tethering plan. I know its only been a little while but knowing I can connect my MacBook Air as well as my iPad from anywhere definitely feels liberating!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.