Contemplating the new App store...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Stampyhead, Mar 8, 2008.

1. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Obviously none of us know what the App store will be like before it is unveiled, but I thought I'd see what you all think about this. Although Steve showed us a preview of buying apps on the iPhone, he didn't say anything about an iTunes version. Downloading apps straight to the phone will certainly be convenient, but I'd also like to see it set up the way the other iTunes stores are - where you can download the from the computer as well and be able to synch them to the phone through iTunes. I can imagine that there will be a lot of apps I'll want but I won't necessarily want them all on the phone at once mostly because of lack of space. Anyone think this will be possible, or am I thinking about it the wrong way?

2. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

It will be possible to download / buy apps directly from the store, and have them sync over to the iPhone.

We will probably get an Apps tap, just like Ringtones, and you can select which Apps you would like on your phone, as well as to delete them / update directly on your computer.

3. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

I would hope we would be able to have them on our computer-- I don't want to use up my space on the phone with apps! Perhaps it will be the same as when you purchase songs on your phone and when you connect it to itunes, it asks if you want to download them to your computer?

4. TimJim macrumors 6502a

It will probobaly act the same as games. You can buy from the iTunes Music Store, then choose which apps to put on your iPhone. Also, they definitely sync from iPhone to iTunes.

5. iPegboy macrumors regular

Jobs demonstrated being able to download on iTunes and then later uploading onto the iPhone as well.

"But we think most people will just download over the air," he said.

6. Stampyhead thread starter macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Glad you guys are seeing it the same way I am. I think that makes the most sense.

7. noty macrumors member

noty

I'd like an App Store on the mac.

What I would like to see is an App Store for the mac. It would be great to have a central location to download first & third party apps and games. It could sit in your dock and notify you of any updates like the App Store on the iPhone.

8. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

9. Galapp macrumors regular

actually, you will not have to necessarely sync all your apps... most likely that you will have to transfer it to the iphone and not download directly to the iphone

10. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

regardless, the first app made available better be an AIM client :)

11. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

I concur, all the same, i cant wait.

12. Stampyhead thread starter macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Ok, I was just listening to the SDK keynote again today and one of the guest engineers was talking about the app they created using sqlite and storing the info on the phone itself. If that's the case wouldn't it mean that once you started using the app it was inextricably tied to the phone? So you couldn't swap it between the phone and your computer because all it's data is on the phone itself? Not being a software engineer I may be misunderstanding it, but that makes it seem pretty permanent on the phone.