Contemporary rMBP screen quality

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by J3ffry, Jul 26, 2013.

1. J3ffry macrumors member

Hey guys!

I've got my rMPB for a year now and am pretty happy with it. However the first half year was a terrible process of screen (and after three times the whole unit) replacements. Problems where dead pixels, backlightbleeding, yellowing and image persistence. This was a pretty ****** Apple experience but I ended up with a pretty perfect rMBP. Been using that for half a year now. Anyway a new bright white spot has popped up, I guess it's called an exploded pixel. Because of the amount of money and the effort this computer already costed me i'm not settling and therefore are going for another screen replacement. However i'm curious about the current state with the screen quality... It doesn't bother me that much (and I got time, AppleCare :)) and i'm afraid for new problems with replacement screens like half a year ago. You guys can advise me with this? Should I let it rest for now and wait some time or is it safe to do a replacement with minimum chance of backlightbleeding, yellowing or image persistance?

Greets,
    Jeffrey

2. sofianito macrumors 65816

sofianito

Yeah, the retina has potentially 4 millions supernovas... :D

I am not sure if one exploded pixel is the minimum threshold to get the display replaced...

3. J3ffry thread starter macrumors member

It looks like a bright white dot which consists of a tiny hole in the screen, so it's like 4 pixels and is clearly visual in a dark room. Already confirmed it's possible to go for a replacement...

4. Shmanky macrumors regular

You got your display replaced for yellowing? My display is yellow all over and they refused to replace it. My first display had accurate colours but developed white spots months after I got it. I expect that your display will continue getting new white spots. I would have preferred to keep the display with white spots over this yellow display.

5. walkie macrumors 6502

The yellowish in panels is not a problem at all, you only need to calibrate the display as I did when Apple replaced my LG panel (which I accidentally cracked) with a new Samsung panel using System Perefences -> Displays -> Colors, statistics indicate that Apple use Samsung panels for replacements which are the ones that don't develop image retention and are less prone to issues.

6. J3ffry thread starter macrumors member

Samsung had more inconsistent screens, multiple backlightbleeding and yellowing (not uniform yellow, but different spots/parts of screen).

7. MacReloaded macrumors 6502

MacReloaded

Apple's replacing my 2012 model with the 2013 model because of the yellowing.