Content/app sharing using multiple iPads?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by random person, Apr 2, 2010.

1. random person macrumors 6502a

If all goes well tomorrow my household will have two iPads, each linked to a different computer with a different user and iTunes account. My question is how to manage applications and content with two iPads.

For example, in a household with two iPhones, can applications be shared across the phones? if so, how? If it can, I imagine the process would be the same for iPads.

Similarly, if I buy a book for my computer using my account, can my partner get the same book if authorized to use my iTunes account?

I'm trying to avoid double charges for paid apps, books, movies, etc.!

2. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

They're tied into your account. Easy thing would be to have one account and set your sync preferences for each device.

3. random person thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's an idea but how would you then manage contacts, etc? You could use one account on one computer for music and video and apps and then switch to the other computer to manage contacts, photos, etc? Might that be possible if set to manual sync?

4. chinarut macrumors member

how is the iPad family experiment going? :)

I just ran into my first family who is taking on iPads for the whole household so it's great to see this thread...

i get the impression this is the biggest argument for sharing a single iTunes database but in the long-run, I get the impression it would be a headache to switch between accounts, have a separate process to sync contacts and photos, and especially if there are laptops in the picture, have to go to the family desktop to sync their device.

anyone else have experiences to share since April?

I personally can't wait for iOS syncing in the cloud (MobileMe on steroids) where a lot of these issues can be addressed I'm keeping my fingers crossed but trying not to hold my breath! :rolleyes:

5. Zcott macrumors 68020

Use iTunes Home Sharing to do this. Sign in with the same account on both computers (it doesn't matter which account), and make sure both computers are authorised to play content from both iTunes accounts (found in Store > Authorise This Computer).

Anytime iPad A syncs with Computer A and Computer B is on, it'll automatically copy across any new apps (and I believe books and music).