Contents of Download Folder Have All Disappeared

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jvanph, Apr 26, 2012.

1. jvanph macrumors newbie

Hi, I am currently having trouble trying to recover the contents of my download folder. About half an hour ago, I extracted a file using BetterZip into the download folder, and it gave me an error stating that the folder for Max already exists. After that all the contents were gone. The file I was trying to unzip was a tar.bz2. It was for the application Max. I am currently using Mac OS X 106.8. I tried looking through the forum, but I had no luck finding anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank You

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

This is exactly why you need a Time Machine backup.

3. simsaladimbamba

4. jvanph thread starter macrumors newbie

I do have a Time Backup, but the closest I come to recovering the folder is last year.

----------

I have looked in the Trash folder but was not able to find anything. As far as the console goes, I was not able to find anything pertaining to the download folder and the extracting.

5. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Time Machine does constant backups. Strange yours shows only old stuff.

6. jvanph thread starter macrumors newbie

I know, right? I have no idea why the latest back up is from April 30, 2011. Any ideas how I would fix the back up problem?

7. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Try deleting the old backup and start Time Machine. It should at least start backing up normally. Mines running right now!