Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ubele

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 20, 2008
I've gradually been ripping my DVD collection to hard drive. Now I'm just copying the VIDEO_TS folder into a folder with the DVD title, but when I started, I was ripping to ISO files. I have a few exercise DVDs with multiple workout routines that are accessed from a menu. When I try to copy the VIDEO_TS folder out of the ISO file (or from the original DVD), the resulting file is much larger than ISO file. For example, I have one DVD that is 8.54 GB in its original form or as an ISO rip. When I copy the VIDEO_TS file out of it, it says, "Now copying 87 GB." I did a web search and found the answer: some DVDs contain multiple references to VOB files and thus make multiple copies of those files. That raises some questions:

Why would anyone do this? My first assumption was that it's to discourage copying by making an annoyingly huge VIDEO_TS folder. However, if you just rip a DVD to an ISO file, there isn't a size increase.

If there's a reason behind it, why is it so rare? Out of ~300 DVDs I've ripped thus far, only three have this issue, and they're all exercise videos.

Finally, is there a way to defeat the multiple-file-reference issue when copying? It's not a big deal, and I ask mostly out of curiosity. My aim was to convert each workout into an MP4 file that I could put on my iPad. Now I just play the ISO copy from my MBP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.