Contest winner: Vista more secure than Mac OS

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by clevin, May 1, 2007.

1. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

http://www.neowin.net/index.php?act=view&id=39918
    Macbook hacking contest wonner Dino Dai Zovi said in a interview:

2. johnee macrumors 6502a

johnee

3. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Who cares how good the code is when no exploits are in the wild, and patches are made for every bug found very quickly:

All I care about is that I am safe in the knowledge that my mac will not get a virus...

4. clevin thread starter macrumors G3

clevin

ahhhh, sorry, forgot to mention he is the guy hacked the macbook and $10,000 cash.

5. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

And he couldn't hack Windoze? Sure.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

^^ Also, give him credit... the article recognizes MSDL as a big reason things have gotten better in the Windows world. This is clearly a*tactical win for MS, even if it has not ended the war. MS's position in terms of unpatched zero-day exploits in their OS is better now than it has been for most of the past 5-10 years, isn't it?

7. johnee macrumors 6502a

johnee

I care, and you should too! If the OS i was using was rock solid and bullet proof, it would make all the trash talk that much more sweeter. Come on, you have to have some swagger when you walk. I expect great code!

8. Queso macrumors G4

He's entitled to his opinion chaps, even if it does have the air of milking his five minutes of fame :p

9. schmintan macrumors regular

you fanatics are redicliously inconsistent, you say in one thread that you dont believe the mac is safe because of "security by obscurity", and here you say the exact oposite. we all know the reason macs have no virus'es is due to the fact that its base is small compared to windows. just accept that some features of windows are better, move on and hope that apple will keep their reputation by making lepoard all the sweeter and safer.

10. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

Chea okay. Now a real life comparison. # of firewalls i use in os x.. ZERO. Number of times i get HACKED while using os x.. Zero? :eek: BUT THAT WOULD MAKE OS X SUPERIOR?! *Jumps out a window* watever. the guys obviously a windows fanboy.. How else could you just flat out lie to the public like that?

11. Mr. Amiga500 macrumors regular

Mr. Amiga500

Maybe he meant to say code quantity. Windows needs huge amounts of active security code running to protect the thousands of unnecessary external control links built into the OS. An animated cursor can allow a hacker to gain control?? (link) WTF?

Here's my real life comparison:
    # of firewalls I use on my Amiga 500: ZERO
    # of virus checkers I use on my Amiga 500: ZERO
    # of times I've been hacked (10000 hours online): ZERO

Hey, maybe the code quality is best on Amiga? (...considering this computer was made before the WWW existed, I'd say maybe not) ;)

12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

^^ LOL

Now Amigas had their viruses in the day. :( Actually, I think my worst virus problems ever on a personal computer were on my Amiga 500....

13. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Somehow I really doubt that. He uses a Mac as his primary, secondary and even tertiary machines. Daring Fireball had a very informative interview with this guy. Check it out: Interview: Dino Dai Zovi

14. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

We all don't know that. The reason that Macs have no viruses is because OS X is built on BSD. Most security experts consider BSD one of the most secure operating systems ever created. While the relatively small user base can be (and probably is) a contributing factor, it most certainly is not the primary reason.

15. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

And NT / XP / Vista was built on top of a VMS like core.

A system that's never been hacked. Unfortunately when you get into the guts of the thing, you can see where they stopped being VMS and started being Winbloz. They cobbled a bunch of the VMS security for speed. The rest is history.

No reason to bash the guy, he obviously has a good handle on both systems. I'm glad nothings in the wild. It's just a matter of time now unfortunately.

16. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

And you guys are not macfanboys???????