Continual Hardware Problems

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CunningWard, May 31, 2009.

1. CunningWard macrumors member

CunningWard

My MacBook Pro, which is just over a year old, almost seems like a lemon. In October the hard drive, optical drive and screen all went out and I was without my mac for most of the month, now after going in to the Apple store to have my power cable checked out, I get a new battery since the old one was faulty from the factory apparently and a new power adapter. After commenting to the Genius about how things were running a little slow lately he does a disk check and basically tells me to make sure it's backed up because the HDD could tank at any moment. This being my first mac I am having my faith in Apple deeply shaken. How should I go about talking with Apple again when the impending doom the Genius talked about occurs? Just kind of clueless at the present moment, thanks in advance to those who can shed some light on this.

Cheers

2. Tweak3D macrumors regular

you may very well have a lemon, it happens, I actually think mine may be one too. What I can tell you regarding the quality of apple computers is that they are on par or better than most in the computer companies. If the tech said your Harddrive is going to fail backup your information and go back and get it replaced. If he saw something that made him say that its probably because the drive is dying. I would also reccomend apple care as repairing apples can be pricey if you do have a lemon and this ensures that you will get a replacement computer (brand new one at that) if you continue to have problems. It happens and I know its hard not to feel jaded when your first experience with a company is like this but let the customer service do their job. I can tell you after dealing with HP, Gateway, Acer, and the like for some many years of working as a computer tech that Apple has top notch tech support and is very quick to get things fixed. good luck.

3. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

4. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Yeah, Apple's support is much better than other companies. I'm not sure what the rule is, but usually after X amount of repairs, they'll just replace the computer.

I know how you feel. My Unibody has had two logic board replacements, a clutch replacement, a battery cover replacement, and both fans have been replaced. I have a folder full of paper work on this machine that is less than 8 months old.

I recommend this to everyone, but post this issue on Apple's support forums. You might get lucky and a sympathetic mod will read your post and send you a free subscription to MobileMe...as in my case. I posted my problem and within 24 hours a guy from Apple called me. Awesome.

5. CunningWard thread starter macrumors member

CunningWard

I do have AppleCare (thank God!). I've delt with Gateway and Dell before and wow, I must say, their customer support is just a fart in the wind compared to Apple's, but I it still bugs me that I'm having fairly consistent problems with the machine.

6. Tweak3D macrumors regular

I have dealt with literally hundreds of peopl ein the same situation, all you can do is play the game. its no fun but you must. Typically you will come ou ton top. If they give you any hassles or problems call up apple and talk with customer relations about your problem, they can issue replacements once the problem has gotten out of hand. I think you may need at least one more replacement to even try and qualify for that. You need to make a good case regarding why they should replace instead of repair and one repair thus far in your case is not enough. just hang in there and be percistent.

7. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Thankfully you have applecare. I'm so sick of threads talking about how their macbook pro was only two years old and it blew up in their face and they are peeved that Apple won't give them the time of day.

Anyway, at this point you are well within reason to demand a replacement. Apple doesn't have an official policy towards offering replacements although after three repairs they are more apt to listen. Simply plead your case to customer relations. The genii will have to speak to their managers who will have to speak to their higher ups to offer you a replacement, but you can just skip that and go straight to the source.

Tell them how this has affected your overall perception of your macbook pro and Apple in general in a tactful and coherent way. Say that you are looking towards a 'permanent resolution' for the problems you are facing day in and day out and that you are certain that apple's "industry leading customer service will ensure a favorable outcome".

8. CunningWard thread starter macrumors member

CunningWard

How do I get a hold of them? I'm assuming that it's just the 1-800 number. Thanks for everybody's help...I do feel better about the situation. I'm studying Electrical Engineering at Iowa State so I can appreciate a lot of the hardware aspects of the machines, hehe.:cool: