Continuation of Going back to SL

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Sword86, Aug 3, 2014.

1. Sword86 macrumors member

I'm wanting to go back to SL from Mavericks and when I insert the SL disc it says I can't use it with my current OS. What's up with that?
    I just want to wipe my HD clean and start over with a fresh SL install.
    I figured all it would ask was 'Do you really want to do this?' and allow me to continue or not.
    Any tips on how to get around this? Is there some line I can enter into Terminal?

Thanks

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You have to erase the drive. To do that, boot from your Snow Leopard disc and open the Disk Utility from the Utilities menu and then erase your internal hard drive. Note: Doing this will delete all files and data on the internal hard drive.

3. Sword86 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, but that's what I thought would happen when I inserted the SL disc.
    What do I have to do to make it boot from the disc when I insert it?
    Sorry, but in all the years I've had this Mac I've never felt the need to 'get educated' like one has to with Windoze. I knew my way around MS stuff, but not Apple OS.

Thanks.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Turn the Macbook off. Then press the power button, right after you hear the startup chime, press and hold the Option key. Put in the Snow Leopard disc, if it isn't already in. Then use the arrows keys or the mouse to select the Snow Leopard disc from the boot menu screen. The Macbook will then boot from Snow Leopard. Once it's done, open Disk Utility from the Utilities menu to erase the internal drive.

5. Sword86 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks very much. I appreciate it.

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You're welcome. If there's anything else we can help you with, feel free to ask.

7. Sword86 thread starter macrumors member

Well, last night and today was a major nightmare.
    After what had to be a 3rd or 4th clean install of SL I was finally able to get back here. I tried for ages from an Ipod 'cause I couldn't get my MB to recognize my password and let me in even after I reset it a bunch of times. (long story)
    Anyway here I am. It appears I have newer versions of ITunes, Mail, Contacts, etc that won't open in SL so I'm looking to go back to Mavericks.
    No amount of searching led me to being able to download it a 2nd time. I know they're giving it away for Free, but I've been everywhere with no luck.
    Right now I'm right at the end of my patience. I figured short of a clean install, I'd put it down over top of the bare SL I have right now and try to migrate all my stuff over after that.
    Is this a good idea, or should I try to make SL work?
    And where can I find Mavericks? They keep saying it's available for free but I can't find it. I searched everywhere for about an hour. I can find everything about it, but no download location.

Thanks

8. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

Have you checked the MAS?

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Run software update from Snow Leopard and install the latest 10.6.8 update that it gives you and you should then have the app store. The original SL DVD installer did not come with the App Store app.

Then once you get 10.6.8 installed click here and it will take you to Mavericks in the App Store for DL.

If I may ask... why are you doing all this? What problem were you having with your Mac? It sounds like you may have some underlying problem here not related to Mavericks.

10. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

I wouldn't go back to snow leopard if your using your macbook for online banking ect,as snow leopard is no longer supported.

11. Sword86 thread starter macrumors member

Hi WB;

I went and got the latest upgrades to SL after I did the install so I'm sitting with 10.6.8 right now.
    When I went to Mavericks I did the upgrade from 10.6.8 not a clean install. It simply ran like crap. Beachballs galore. I never had one thing to complain about with SL. Mavericks pretty much bricked my MB.
    I read on here somewhere that it might have something to do with the 6 gig of ram I have on my MB. Something to do with how Mavericks allocates it's use. I figured I would be happy if I just went back to SL.
    On the first attempt I 'restored' things across from my backup and really had no idea what ought to be brought across. The 2nd time I did a migration on the SL disc and got the later versions of some applications that I upgraded to after I had switched over to Mavericks. These won't run in SL.
    I was only able to get here now because I haven't migrated anything over to this install. (3rd time....simply SL with all the upgrades, nothing else) Mail is still messed up, no music yet in ITunes, no contacts. (I think it's Address Book in SL) The 1st time around I had gotten all my music over, but as I said previously, I really had no idea of what to bring across once I got the hang of it. That's why I tried a 2nd time. The 3rd time came about because of all the newer stuff that wouldn't run in SL.
    I thought I might have better luck laying Mavericks over a 'bare bones' SL which is what I posted last night. I am prepared to do a fresh install of Mavericks if that's what it will take. I'm getting pretty good at this now. I used to know my way around Windows pretty well because I had to. I've never felt the need to mess with Apple OS.
    I'm open to any ideas how to make Mavericks run as it ought to on my MB.

----------

I do bank online so I guess I ought to make more attempts to get Mavericks loaded. As long as I can get it running well I'm all for it.

Thanks

12. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

Maybe try doing a clean install of Mavericks....

-download mavericks from app store...once dl is done,don't do the upgrade...do this
    -download "http://liondiskmaker.com/" and follow there instructions on how to make usb install stick
    -once you have made stick just reboot your macbook and hold down "option" key and pick usb stick to boot from....then just do a clean install....

13. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

6GB of memory is enough to run Mavs and would not cause all that beach balling you are having. Usually these issues turn out to be an incompatibility with some utility or driver you had running under SL that does not work well with Mavs.

Let me ask this... so do you now have a "clean install" of SL on there and is it working okay? By clean install I mean when you booted to the SL disk you used Disk Util to erase the entire disk then installed nothing but SL and you did not migrate or move any data in? So nothing running but SL... does that work okay??

Do you have your data like contacts etc backed up somewhere?

14. Sword86 thread starter macrumors member

Yes, I had everything backed up.
    I did go into utilities and erase the drive completely and the clean install seemed to be bulletproof.....so, I installed Mavericks again (10.9.4) and got any updates. I then migrated everything over from my external drive using Migration Asst.
    Everything is back, mail is working again, Internet is fast and I have yet to see a beachball. I had really gotten to like the different scrolling and swipes in Mavericks and I'm glad to have them back. All seems to be good so far.

Thanks everybody for your help. I really do appreciate it. I love this site.