Continue using phone whilst watching film through the TV via a cable

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by RichardLynch, Feb 16, 2015.

1. RichardLynch macrumors member

Well the title sums it up basically.
    I have a Lightning Digital AV adapter so am able to mirror my phone on the TV and watch my movies from my iPhone 6 running iOS 8.1.3.
    Whilst the film is playing through my TV, is it possible for me to continue to use the phone for other tasks and have the film play interupted on my TV?
    So far it seems if I switch apps whilst the film is playing then the TV mirrors what I'm doing on the phone.
    Any ideas?

2. gordon1234 macrumors 6502a

I am not aware of any background API that would allow for video playback to continue when an app is not in the foreground …

3. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

You may want to try airplay mirroring via an Apple TV.

I haven't tried this of late, but during iOS 6, I was able to stream a show from my iMac to my iPad via air video, airplay it to my TV, background the app, then play a game (shadow era) while the show was being streamed to my TV.

I believe you should be able to mirror a video to your TV, background the process, then run another app like safari or a game. Take note that the ram will likely be your biggest constraint. If the main task is too heavy, it may just push the airplay process out of memory and kill it.

4. benfica88 macrumors regular

If you're playing videos through Safari you can.
    While the video is playing, lock the screen, swip up bring up the calculator and tap it (sometimes you have to swipe left and right). Then unlock your phone. You should now be able to do most other things.

5. RichardLynch thread starter macrumors member

This works perfectly. Thank you so much.