Continued issues with MacBook Pro Uni..grr

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Techhie, Mar 21, 2009.

1. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

Exchanged the first one, got service on the second one from AppleCare (current) where they re-seated the RAM, because I was having random kernel panics every 3 min. Still been having non-logged system freezes that requires restart every so often, but it hasn't been all that bad. Today, I got a freeze and had to hard restart, only to come to a white boot screen waiting forever for the Apple logo. Now this happens on every start up and restart, and the only way it will boot is if I select the partition to boot when holding Option, even though there is a single partition. What to do now? Go to AppleCare yet again? I'm getting rather tired of this, I pay $2,000 for a laptop, I expect it to work.

thanks for any help

2. aarcarr macrumors member

If you keep getting kernel panics like that i would guess the ram again. Or logic board. Doubtful about that though. Keep going to applecare until they get it right. I had a similar problem, except it wouldnt boot at all and constantly gave kernel panics and white apple screens, turned out to be bad ram.

3. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

If you haven't done so already, I would try to do an Archive and Install without preserving user settings and folders. Depending on what the problem, I always recommend customers to backup all their data before sending out for repairs and once the repair is complete, do a reinstall just so you get a better idea of what the problem might be and you also eliminate software as being the problem. By doing that, when you call into AppleCare or see a Genius, you save time by letting them know that you've covered your end and now they need to look at hardware as the problem.