Continues run of MBA

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by kveaswaran, May 6, 2014.

1. kveaswaran, May 6, 2014
    Last edited: May 6, 2014

kveaswaran macrumors newbie

Hello All,

I am planing to get a Macbook Air. I am currently use a Lenovo Thinkpad.
    My usage is primarly continues torrent downloads. I switch off my thinkpad once in a week. Have no trouble with thinpad as far as the long continues run is concerned.

Now, if I get a MBA (128G SSD), will I be able to keep up the long runs.
    How are Macbooks with respect to continues runs. Other uses include Movies and light photo editng. I am mainly moving to MAC to get Adobe LR or Aperture.

Or should I get a MBP non retina with a 500G Drive. I am interested in the continues runs.
    Storage is not a major concern for me as I can use a external HDD if required.

Is a Macbook (MBA or MBP ) right for my use..I dont want a desktop.

Thanks,
    ekv

2. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

If you keep it well ventilated it should run fine. Just don't put it on bed linen, carpet or fiber material.

3. fedecape macrumors 6502

fedecape

The MBA is more than enough. Get something cheaper, you don't need power to download torrents. BTW, why are you replacing the Thinkpad?

4. kveaswaran thread starter macrumors newbie

Its not only for torrents. I mentioned that to explain why I run it continuously.
    My thinkpad is running on Linux. I need Adobe Lightroom and Adobe does not provide a Linux version. Moreover, I have an iPad and and iPhone which are not playing well with Linux.

So, I am planning to retire the Thinkpad (its been excellent till date) and go with Mac. I am not a fan of Windows.

I am not aiming for a powerful laptop. I need something that has

*Can run for weeks without melting itself
    *Software support for atleast 3 years (upgrades, bug fixes etc)
    *Around 14 inches of display
    *Decent enough processor for editing RAW images
    *Availability of photo editing software

I am confident that MBA will suit me on the above points except for the first one.
    Hence seeking help / advice from people who use it on a daily basis.

Thanks,
    ekv

5. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

The MBA will be a nice upgrade for you, and yes it can run for weeks on end with no issues. I don't push my MBA that hard, but I do run the CPU on my 2011 MBP at 100% for weeks at a time. Ventilation is key. If I were you I'd also consider the MBP as a candidate to replace your linux box.

Caveat - I don't use the MBA on a daily basis as I have the MBP in my home office, but when I travel the MBA is my travel partner.

6. Meister Suspended

Meister

Macs have excellent heat management. The heat is conducted to the body until the fans set in.
    Running it continuously should be no problem. Have you considered a mac mini?
    Thats a better bang for the buck for your intended use.

7. kveaswaran thread starter macrumors newbie

I need a laptop as power supply is not reliable where I live.
    So, I dare not think of desktops :D

----------

I am considering the MBA ony due to the price difference to the MBP..

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I run a 2013 13" MBA 24/7 (never sleeps) and never had a problem. The MBA will be fine for the usage you described.