Continuing LION disasters

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by h00ligan, Sep 10, 2011.

1. h00ligan macrumors 68030

Get macbook pro 15"
    Use Lion recovery assistant tool to make 4 gb usb drive
    replace drive with momentus xt
    Restore drive to factory spec
    Wait 13 hours for drive to encrypt with filevault - sleep
    Run updates after encryption complete
    reboot for thunderbolt firmware upgrade
    complete update
    get to login
    enter password and login
    unable to boot to Lion
    Boot from external drive, drive unable to be repaired (not shocked as it is encrypted).

So now......recovery mode, but I'm skeptical.

So far I have to say, Lion has been a complete POS, and is Apple's Vista. Obviously that observation is not based on this one issue, but a few big ones.

Anyone have any ideas? I found one result on google with the same issue - and there was no response on the apple forums.

Cheers

2. h00ligan, Sep 10, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2011

h00ligan thread starter macrumors 68030

So, to clarify after talking to apple support.

Your data can be recovered if you forget your key.. or if someone hacks your email.. but for security reasons, there is no way to unlock from the recovery partition and run disk tools.

GENIUS. Good job apple.

You have to unlock the drive to do an erase, so the recovery partition is capable of passing that information.. it's a decision not to be able to run disk tools from the native recovery partition or from a mounted volume / target disk mode.. but hey.. if someone gets my machine and compromises my email.. no problems getting the data. Genius. Good job apple.

Lion install - 2 MB a second down.. not bit, byte. Hour and 20 mins to dl, 30 mins to install/ That's a fast connection - and this whole process could be made much much shorter by including recovery media. Of course, you can OVERpay by about $50 for a disk that should have come with the machine. I pity ANYONE who isn't on a raging fast connection.. good luck with your restore. Genius. Good job Apple.

But wait, don't configure your system yet.. because it will take 12 hours to encrypt.. and even though it states you can work on your machine, you better not as it is finicky. Genius move to full disk.. an arduous procedure to save a few seconds of access. Allow a choice no? NO way, our way or get out.

Then you can spend a few hours (after you are sure it can boot!) configuring your system.

Then you can make a time machine backup (but you better not encrypt it because who knows whether that will be recoverable as no disk tools can be used in case of an emergency, so leave your data unsafe!) You can make it to that disk attached to your airport base station.. oh wait.. no you can't.. even though there is realistically NO difference between that and time capsule... eh, just spend more.

Then you can use your machine and pray every day that nothing happens to your disk.. oh and keep a perpetually attached disk to your laptop since there's no way to check anything with the disk and getting proper responses.

Cross machine clones no longer work properly.. so the enterprise job just got a lot harder.
    Sounds like a great plan.

Over all.. great job apple.. and being shortsighted and blowing the 'it just works' idea right out the window.
    If any of the above steps fail, you are going to be at this for days.. and unsure if anything will work.

Lion is a HUGE mistake... from start to finish.

3. e3mac macrumors newbie

I too fear for the future of Apple

The design philosophy of Lion has absolutely frightened me.

4. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    I, personally love LION, it works really well for me

I did have to make a few customisations though:
    - finder hack
    -change disk permissions
    -better touch tools

End result - I'm very happy - and my vertex 3 max iops screams with the mighty roar of lion- :p

well done apple :D

5. Alexjones macrumors 6502

Me too. After returning my first MBP because of not liking Lion, I gave it another shot. My new MBP came last Thursday, And i love it. I played around the settings and it works real well. A mouse helps using Mission control. I refuse to use the track pad on Lion. Logitech anywhere MX mouse all the way.

6. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

I would not call this situation a disaster. Even though I personally do not care for Lion after using it for awhile, it's just Apples way of doing things. There is no perfect OS, so that's an unrealistic expectation to have.

As a consumer oriented OS designed to impress those novices who like the look & feel of iOS, Apple has hit the target.

For professionals, not so much, if at all.

That said, remember Apples highest priority is raking in the cash. Lions got enough "gee wiz" factors to show well to those easily impressed, which is all it takes to grab the attention of impulse buyers & others.

I'm not the least bit impressed with a screen full of iOS style apps & icons. To the contrary I find it repulsive, but Apple doesn't care about anything except the money. So let them have at it, they always win anyway.

Let's not forget this is just like always, Apples out to convince people they need this, whether they do or not. Sadly its the entire industry which is influenced by the strong arm Apple approach.

7. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

Yest three finger swipes on google chrome were a pain! use safari for most things, chrome for flash videos, youtube and shopping...

However, with bettertouch tools, all is well now! stopped using a mouse back with osx 10.6.5 - sold my magic mouse as it was crap - trackpad only user here

8. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

yes, i agree i have yet to use the launchpad thing to launch apps - i prefer to either use the apps folder on my dock, or use spotlight to find the app i need!

However, i like the way mission control works - i set up several desktops to create my working environment to suit my needs... email, web browser, facebook, calendar, finder, desktop, pages, acrobat x.. etc

I really do not find LION as bad as others make out!

9. alFR macrumors 68020

If:

Then how can this be true?

Either the recovery partition can unlock the disk or it can't: which is it?

Ever heard of an encrypted sparse image? If you don't want to encrypt the whole disk, just keep your sensitive data in one of those. Job done...

You can.

One should probably also point out that using Launchpad isn't compulsory...

10. dsjr2006 macrumors regular

So what you're saying is that Lion is fine, but because you decided to modify your computer without learning how to do it first it's Apples problem.

Also, the recovery key for an encrypted drive is only stored by Apple if you choose to have them store it.

Other computer manufacturers stopped giving restore disks over 5 years ago... You have to make your own. BestBuy will even install AntiVirus & make your restore disks for your new Windows PC for like $130.

11. marc11 macrumors 68000

I do not know how much data you have, but I encrypted both my HDD about 200 gigs worth in less than an hour.