Continuing Unibody MBP Wi-fi problems

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jbischke, Feb 15, 2009.

  1. jbischke macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2009
    #1
    Hey all. Bought a new MBP a few weeks ago and love it with one exception: Wi-fi issues. I've noticed a few things:

    -I connect at various Starbucks using T-Mobile. I've never had any issues with this on my old MBP but have noticed spotty reception on my new MBP.

    -At my old apartment (I moved last week) I was having issues. I set my Airport Extreme to N-only (5 Ghz) and that seemed to fix things.

    -At my new apartment I've set the Airport Extreme to N (A/B/G compatible as other people will be sharing this connection). What I'm noticing is about 95% of the time I have full bars and my connection is blazing fast. However, the other 5% or so of the time my connection drops to three bars and the connection slows way down or drops entirely. After a few minutes I'm back up and running again with no config or location changes on my part.

    I'm running 10.5.6 BTW and connecting to the Web via a Comcast cable modem.
     
  2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

    Abstract

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2002
    Location:
    Location Location Location
    #2
    Perhaps the new placement of the WiFi antenna is what's doing it. I don't know what to tell you.

    WiFi on MBPs, and even old (aluminium) PowerBooks, has always been spotty when compared to plastic iBooks and MacBooks, regardless of where the antenna is.

    I think this specific example is the result of an issue regarding your internet provider, since your WiFi card doesn't get tired like a living thing would. ;) If it is running properly, it'll continue to do so.
     
  3. clyde2801 macrumors 601

    clyde2801

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2008
    Location:
    In the land of no hills and red dirt.
    #3
    It's just a setback of the design, putting the wifi antenna in a metal box. It may also be a problem with either the card or the software, but I'm pretty sure it's the design. Apple loves putting form over function.

    I'm using my lenovo "hackbook air" with a b/g card in it, and it puts the reception of the n card in my MBP to shame.

    Like it, hate it, whatever. It's just the way it is.
     
  4. jbischke thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2009
    #4
    Thanks guys. Is there anything I can do to troubleshoot this?

    It's starting to get pretty frustrating. A minute ago the connection kept dropping and I was getting a "Connection Timeout" message would trying to connect. I moved, I kid you not, one foot closer to the base station and now it's working. Mind you I was only about five feet away before.

    Nowadays since we all do pretty much everything online not having a signal is like not being able to use your computer. I have to imagine there are some ways I can troubleshoot this now?
     
  5. jbischke thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2009
    #5
    AirRadar is telling me my signal strength is at around 70% despite the fact that I'm five feet away from the AEBs and there aren't any other networks on the same channel. Is there any way I can improve upon this at all?
     
  6. jbischke thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2009
    #6
    The problem seems to be getting worse in that now the behavior that I'm seeing is when the network connection drops below about 60% (according to AirRadar) then the connection drops entirely. I can move closer to the base station and get the signal strength up to 75% or so again. However, when I attempt to reconnect I'm getting prompted for my wi-fi password and receiving a Connection Timeout message.

    What I've done now is switch the AEBs to N-only (5 Ghz) and it seems solid. This is the same configuration I had in my old place that ultimately worked. However, my issue now is what to do when I have non N-compatible devices that join my network or when I want to use my iPhone with wi-fi. Any suggestions?
     

Share This Page