Continuing Unibody MBP Wi-fi problems

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jbischke, Feb 15, 2009.

1. jbischke macrumors newbie

Hey all. Bought a new MBP a few weeks ago and love it with one exception: Wi-fi issues. I've noticed a few things:

-I connect at various Starbucks using T-Mobile. I've never had any issues with this on my old MBP but have noticed spotty reception on my new MBP.

-At my old apartment (I moved last week) I was having issues. I set my Airport Extreme to N-only (5 Ghz) and that seemed to fix things.

-At my new apartment I've set the Airport Extreme to N (A/B/G compatible as other people will be sharing this connection). What I'm noticing is about 95% of the time I have full bars and my connection is blazing fast. However, the other 5% or so of the time my connection drops to three bars and the connection slows way down or drops entirely. After a few minutes I'm back up and running again with no config or location changes on my part.

I'm running 10.5.6 BTW and connecting to the Web via a Comcast cable modem.

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Perhaps the new placement of the WiFi antenna is what's doing it. I don't know what to tell you.

WiFi on MBPs, and even old (aluminium) PowerBooks, has always been spotty when compared to plastic iBooks and MacBooks, regardless of where the antenna is.

I think this specific example is the result of an issue regarding your internet provider, since your WiFi card doesn't get tired like a living thing would. ;) If it is running properly, it'll continue to do so.

3. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

It's just a setback of the design, putting the wifi antenna in a metal box. It may also be a problem with either the card or the software, but I'm pretty sure it's the design. Apple loves putting form over function.

I'm using my lenovo "hackbook air" with a b/g card in it, and it puts the reception of the n card in my MBP to shame.

Like it, hate it, whatever. It's just the way it is.

4. jbischke thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys. Is there anything I can do to troubleshoot this?

It's starting to get pretty frustrating. A minute ago the connection kept dropping and I was getting a "Connection Timeout" message would trying to connect. I moved, I kid you not, one foot closer to the base station and now it's working. Mind you I was only about five feet away before.

Nowadays since we all do pretty much everything online not having a signal is like not being able to use your computer. I have to imagine there are some ways I can troubleshoot this now?

5. jbischke thread starter macrumors newbie

AirRadar is telling me my signal strength is at around 70% despite the fact that I'm five feet away from the AEBs and there aren't any other networks on the same channel. Is there any way I can improve upon this at all?

6. jbischke thread starter macrumors newbie

The problem seems to be getting worse in that now the behavior that I'm seeing is when the network connection drops below about 60% (according to AirRadar) then the connection drops entirely. I can move closer to the base station and get the signal strength up to 75% or so again. However, when I attempt to reconnect I'm getting prompted for my wi-fi password and receiving a Connection Timeout message.

What I've done now is switch the AEBs to N-only (5 Ghz) and it seems solid. This is the same configuration I had in my old place that ultimately worked. However, my issue now is what to do when I have non N-compatible devices that join my network or when I want to use my iPhone with wi-fi. Any suggestions?