Continuing Wireless Problems with 15"MBP

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Delta2Nite, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Delta2Nite macrumors newbie

I have yet to find a real solution for my problem.

I have a horrible wireless connection in my house, but it's fine everywhere else. I've used the internet in my local Apple Store, and at my school today - flawless. I come home, connect to our network (broadcast through an Airport Extreme Base Station) and I get maybe a few seconds and then nothing (I monitor this via a ping).

For whatever reason (I can't really explain it because in both cases it was like dumb luck), I've been able to maintain a stable connection twice. I don't really know what I did - I tried many things, mostly using Network Diagnostics with Ethernet plugged in, then unplugged running the diagnostic, combinations like that.

In both cases, when I turned my computer off and then back on, the problems came back.

It has to be something with my network, but I don't know what it could be because my previous generation 15" MBP and 24" iMac are connected fine - it's just my new 15" MBP.

Any idea or possible solutions? I'll probably bring my computer in on Friday and have them look at it over the weekend.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I would be really surprised if it didn't work in your case, but have you tried connecting directly to the AirPort base station using an ethernet cable?

3. Delta2Nite thread starter macrumors newbie

When I do that it does work. But it doesn't work via wireless.

I just tried something new: reset my AEBS and created a new network - same problem.

I'll be using my laptop at school again tomorrow, probably more internet usage so I'll have a better feel of the connection there. As it stands now, I have the problem only at home. I don't understand what the problem is. I've changed broadcasting frequencies; 5Ghz n-only, 2.4Ghz b/g/n, 2.4Ghz n-only. I've reset my PRAM countless times already. I don't think it's an actual Airport Card problem, because it works with other networks easily, just the one at home, which is odd because all other computers at home work flawlessly.

4. WannaApple? macrumors 6502a

Ive been having problems with my Macbook at home too, but I have resolved that it must be something within my connection so I am having my cable company come out this Friday and check everything.
    If your MB works everywhere else, maybe its time for a check of your cable/ DSL lines or modem?

5. Delta2Nite thread starter macrumors newbie

I might request that, but it doesn't seem like that would be it though, I mean every single computer works besides this one.

Whenever I run a ping, I run it to my router (10.0.1.1) and it never comes back successful (or at least rarely does it come back successful).

6. levh macrumors newbie

Also having problems with wireless at home

I'm surprised to see these post b/c recently I've noticed problems with my wireless, even though everything was working fine for a couple of months. I have a new 13" macbook with OS 10.5.5 I was wondering if proximity to my wireless router was a problem since the laptop is sitting about 18" away. I have a support call scheduled for tonight (1/7), so I'll see what happens. My fear is that the hardware is bad and I'll have to surrender my laptop to be fixed. Also, it should be noted that my wife's new Dell connects just fine to our wireless router, so I don't think that the router is the problem. And, I can connect via a regular ethernet cable.

7. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

If only some computers are having problems, the issue is not with your connection/modem. You could try resetting your router to factory default settings and reconfiguring it from there, though.

Being too close to a wireless router shouldn't be an issue, but if you're working that close, shouldn't an ethernet cable be good enough? Given that it's a laptop, I'm assuming you pick it up and carry it around... same issue then? And with other networks?

8. Delta2Nite thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't think it's a problem with my actual internet connection because all other computers have a stable connection.

What I don't understand is how my computer works fine with other wireless connections (I'm posting this from my school wireless).

That would lead me to believe that it's a problem with my network at home, but then all computers at my house are connected fine - which indicates a problem with my own computer.

I have a DSL connection that goes into our modem (provided by our ISP) which has an ethernet cable go to our AEBS and then a single ethernet cable coming out of the AEBS which generally isn't use - but I'm using it at home currently because of my predicament.

9. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Try theses few steps

Try changing your wireless router's channel through your router's configuration page to see if your signal strength improves. You don't need to change your computer's configuration, because it'll automatically detect the new channel.

Reduce wireless interference.

If you have cordless phones or other wireless electronics in your home, your computer might not be able to "hear" your router over the noise from the other wireless devices. To quiet the noise, avoid wireless electronics that use the 2.4GHz frequency. Instead, look for cordless phones that use the 5.8GHz or 900MHz frequencies.

10. Delta2Nite thread starter macrumors newbie

I changed my AEBS's channel from Automatic, then from 1-13 and no increase in stability.

I've tried changing the router's broadcasting frequency from 2.4Ghz to 5Ghz to reduce interference and whenever possibly I try turning on the robustness feature which is supposed to reduce interference as well.

So far, nothing has improved.